Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 05-21-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
shawn

Default Solar

I usually find the building of these solar power plants in the US some pretty cool and something that's been needed for decades but I think Taiwan has surpassed us by far with this new solar stadium.

http://www.inhabitat.com/2009/05/20/...ed-by-the-sun/
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Shadow

Business as usual. Ideas are developed in the western countries, but the east use them. And why? Our people take years and decades just to discuss the possibility of using a technology.

Ok. You in the US are talking less than in Europe.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
I usually find the building of these solar power plants in the US some pretty cool and something that's been needed for decades but I think Taiwan has surpassed us by far with this new solar stadium.

http://www.inhabitat.com/2009/05/20/...ed-by-the-sun/

That's cool, but wake me when they make a solar power plant that powers an entire metropolitan city.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:30 AM   #4
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
That's cool, but wake me when they make a solar power plant that powers an entire metropolitan city.
That would be covering all building with solar collectors on all sides other than north. I find it idiotic that all schools aren't mandated to have their roofs covered with solar collectors. Think about it. You have large buildings with expansive roofs that are not even in use in the summer so virtually all the energy could be sold to the local Electrical Utility. That's 3 months of electricity and that could be used to pay the huge bills these schools accumulate.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
That would be covering all building with solar collectors on all sides other than north. I find it idiotic that all schools aren't mandated to have their roofs covered with solar collectors. Think about it. You have large buildings with expansive roofs that are not even in use in the summer so virtually all the energy could be sold to the local Electrical Utility. That's 3 months of electricity and that could be used to pay the huge bills these schools accumulate.
You could extend your proposal to factories as well. Or imagine building "solar farms" in desert areas...
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
You could extend your proposal to factories as well. Or imagine building "solar farms" in desert areas...
Hell yeah, I have thought of that and it's a great idea.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:09 AM   #7
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
What you and Shawn are saying I hope happens one day. It wouldn't solve all of our problems, but it'd certainly help.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
iThizz

Quote:
Non-sports fans in the community have a lot to jump up and down for as well. Not only does the solar system provide electricity during the games, but the surplus energy will also be sold during the non-game period. On days where the stadium is not being used, the Taiwanese government plans to feed the extra energy into the local grid, where it will meet almost 80% of the neighboring area’s energy requirements. Overall, the stadium will generate 1.14 million KWh per year, preventing the release of 660 tons of carbon dioxide into atmosphere annually.
^^thas badass i was wonderin what they wer goin do with all the extra power after seeing it was a stadium.
iThizz is offline   Reply With Quote