Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 02-17-2009, 04:56 AM   #1
Koolboyman

Default Hack Rejection Thread

Admin's note: I've decided to unsticky this as it's pretty pointless to have here stickied anyway.

Name: Super Adventure Island V
Author: LUISDooMER

I really, REALLY wanted to accept this. It's hard, but it's doable, but more importantly, it's fun. However, there are problems he can easily fix.

I'm sorry, but this is just a mess. Not only do you have weird colored pink tiles attempting to blend in with the blue and brown one, you have glitched up sprites.

That guy who follows you and drains your energy (I forget his name) doesn't look quite right... Plus, most cut off tiles. This entire level seems like a blatant 1-3 level edit anyway with enemies moved around.

This was very unusual...

I can walk right though this thing, and it never attacks me. Is there any point of this being here?

Another annoyance that can be easily fixed:

I can walk through one of these blocks and fall to my death, while others on the same ledge, I can't. Replace that with tiles you can't walk through, this isn't the only cave level it's happened in either.

I can understand that the spriteset declaration may cause other sprites to be glitchy while fixing the other ones, but here's a suggestion. Add your own sprite tables for specific levels that have enemies that aren't normally supposed to be together. I'm sure you can fix these problems in no time, and once you do, I'll accept it.

By the way, we do not accept ROMs. We need to get rid of that option...

Last edited by Koolboyman; 02-17-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Koolboyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:02 AM   #2
Reaper man

this feels like a fun thing to sticky.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Koolboyman

Thanks for sticking Reaper.

---Warning: "Mature" Content---

Mario 1 Hack: Naked Headless Mario Fights the Dick Nazis
Author: HaxorKyo
Description: things get ugly when the dick nazis invade the mushroom kingdom!!! you need super mario/ duckhunt rom to play!

Obviously violates Zophar's Hacking Policy. "Mature" ROM Hacks must have a warning, and be more than simple text/graphic changes. Putting the words "f###" and "s###" in every sentence and changing all the sprites to male genitals is not a quality hack, anybody could do that in less than a day.

Naked Mario and Nazi symbols everywhere with the text "Fuck off" in the blocks. Har-de-har-har. It fits in that joke hacking site, and would be a popular ROM hack if it was made ten years ago, but does not belong here.

Last edited by Koolboyman; 02-20-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolboyman View Post
Naked Mario and Nazi symbols everywhere with the text "Fuck off" in the blocks. Har-de-har-har. It fits in that joke hacking site, and would be a popular ROM hack if it was made ten years ago, but does not belong here.
In all fairness...I'm pretty sure this one wasn't supposed to be quality, but yeah.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
Fla Flash
Staff (News -- Rom Hacking)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolboyman View Post
Obviously violates Zophar's Hacking Policy. "Mature" ROM Hacks must have a warning, and be more than simple text/graphic changes. Putting the words "f###" and "s###" in every sentence and changing all the sprites to male genitals is not a quality hack, anybody could do that in less than a day.

Thank god. I used to get the "Potty Mouth" hacks a lot. Seems like when somebody learns to hack text, the first inclination is to throw some f***** s*** around.

Fla Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:59 AM   #6
HaxorKyo

Don't be an immature fool. I didn't want to ban you, but that is what happens when you begin to post this BS all over the board. We don't need this, especially in threads like this. -9th Sage

Last edited by The 9th Sage; 02-18-2009 at 04:32 AM.
HaxorKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaxorKyo View Post
you guys suck fuck you! you didn't even play it. you think your better than us just because you make translations and shit that nobody wants to play? your wrong! rom hacking has it's roots and its roots are in Naked Headless MariO!\
you people make me sick! you guys are a bunch of whiny little faggots.
:flip off:: flipoff::flipo ff::f lipoff::flipof f::fl ipoff::flipoff ::fli poff: :flip off:: flipoff::flipo ff::f lipoff:
C'mon haxor, take it like a man!!
Not everyone's going to like your hack lol.
Personally I find cheap vulgar hacks to be funny because I am extremely immature.

Also, you used the posessive ''your'' when youl should have used the contraction ''you're'', but whatever, it doesn't matter... Just throwing that out there :P
Old 02-19-2009, 03:00 AM   #8
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaxorKyo
rom hacking has it's roots and its roots are in Naked Headless MariO!
Actually, the roots of ROM hacking lie in the translation of MSX ROMs. Graphical hacks of Mario didn't pop up until a few years after translation hacking was in full swing.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:17 AM   #9
Koolboyman

A great example what not to do when your hack is rejected. Please don't throw a four year old temper tantrum. Speaking of bad hacks, we have two more this time.

Ninja Gayden, and Big Bird's Sexy Strip Show b k0k0them0nkey. First of all, they're both ROMS, and we don't accept ROM's anymore. and second of all, violates that same rule as before. Enough said.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:39 AM   #10
k0k0them0nkey

Oh I figured they'd be rejected. And I did include the .ips files along with the rom files. You should probably take out the option to submit the roms on the submission form even though it says that it is optional. Sorry to waste your time. But if anyone wants to see elmo suck his own winkle til it explodes, they'll probably know where to find it.
k0k0them0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote