Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
PriusOmega
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default Developing an ff6 mod

I'm working on an interesting ff6 mod, and before I begin, I need to see how possible some of my ideas are. My aim here is to evaluate the workload and know of any impossibilties.

If anyone here has any information on the following, post it here or contact me please.

1) change magitek into a multiple skills set called "special". Edgar, gau, and shadow currently have it. I'm assuming each character can have a different "special" skill set, since Terra has more magitek abilities in the actual game? Are these abilties always free to use and quick to cast, or can these things change?

2) I want to change "slots" into "pray", and give it to relm. Pray gives random all party white magic effects, such as life 3, shell/protect, blink, and cure 3. (maybe Holy or all-Holy (holy=pearl) as the 777 swap).
How feasable is this?

3) I want to change "absolute zero" into a magic spell. Can it be done? Do I have to make a new spell mimicing it?

4) I want to make dance good. Really good, to balance out tripping and the overall awfulness of dancing. Can I change all of the dance abilities? Can I change the number of abilities per terrain? Can I change the %chance to use?

5) can I make it so that stealing an item from a monster has any effect on that monster? I want to change "capture" into "gouge" (or some synonym) that, when you successfully steal from the enemy, it puts a dot on them for the rest of the fight. Doable? Can I at least inflict poison in this manner? Can I do anything at all?

6) I want to make runic good. Some ideas:
- cast a spell once atb returns after using runic
- cast a spell at the start of using runic
- runic lasts until it is used (can use abilties after using once)
- runic is randomly used after attacking, or taking some other action
any of this doable?

7) I want to change swordtech abilties. I know swordtech speed can be increased, but can I change the abilities? Can I at least change the properties on the existing abilities?

That's it, for now. Any feedback at all would be appreciated.

-prius omega
PriusOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
Reaper man
Member
 
Reaper man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 5,409
Default

Just as a heads up, anything is possible within the limits of the hardware, so yeah, any of your ideas are possible in theory, but it would require a decent dose of assembly hacking to pull off, which isn't exactly easy.
__________________
Reaper man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:21 AM   #3
Lenophis
Senior Member
 
Lenophis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusOmega View Post
I'm working on an interesting ff6 mod, and before I begin, I need to see how possible some of my ideas are. My aim here is to evaluate the workload and know of any impossibilties.
FF3usME and Drakkhen's Miscellaneous Data Editor can do some of what you want. But a lot of it will require you to add code.

Quote:
1) change magitek into a multiple skills set called "special". Edgar, gau, and shadow currently have it. I'm assuming each character can have a different "special" skill set, since Terra has more magitek abilities in the actual game? Are these abilties always free to use and quick to cast, or can these things change?
Yes and no. There's code that checks for Terra only, currently. More code would need to be added to check for more characters. This code is at C1/4D2E.

Quote:
2) I want to change "slots" into "pray", and give it to relm. Pray gives random all party white magic effects, such as life 3, shell/protect, blink, and cure 3. (maybe Holy or all-Holy (holy=pearl) as the 777 swap).
How feasable is this?[/quote
Quote:
3) I want to change "absolute zero" into a magic spell. Can it be done? Do I have to make a new spell mimicing it?
Yes, yes, and yes. Without severe nashing of teeth, you'll have to replace one of the current 54 spells characters learn.

Quote:
4) I want to make dance good. Really good, to balance out tripping and the overall awfulness of dancing. Can I change all of the dance abilities? Can I change the number of abilities per terrain? Can I change the %chance to use?
The dances, like just about everything, are spells. Open up FF3usME's spell editor and find the spells they use. To change the number of steps per terrain, code must be added, and possible a lot of code if each dance has a certain number of steps. Changing the chances is the easiest part:
Code:
(Data - for chances of each dance step)
(Probabilities: Dance Step 0 = 7/16, Step 1 = 6/16, Step 2 = 2/16, Step 3 = 1/16)

C2/05CE: 10 30 90
Quote:
5) can I make it so that stealing an item from a monster has any effect on that monster? I want to change "capture" into "gouge" (or some synonym) that, when you successfully steal from the enemy, it puts a dot on them for the rest of the fight. Doable? Can I at least inflict poison in this manner? Can I do anything at all?
You can get creative with AI, but without additional code, no.
__________________
Lenophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
PriusOmega
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default

thank you Lenophis, you have been much help. I've learned that anything is possible (pretty much), but I'm looking for ways to impliment my ideas without too much coding (away from assembly). So far I'm optimistic that most of what I want can be done easily, though it is regrettable losing my capture idea. I haven't completely given up though. I have a couple more questions:

8) does health really just cast cure2? Can the spell cast be changed easily? From what I've learned so far, I'm think yes and not that difficult.

9) can I make a spell (likely a buff) that directly alters character stats? (vigor, level, etc.). I'm thinking yes? Isn't haste just a buff that doubles speed (or adds speed)?

10) can I disable certain sword techs on certain characters? By this I mean; two characters have swordtech. One has 1357 (with 2468 greyed) and another has the reverse. Probably doable, but the solution is probably a hard one.

11) ghosts in the game take damage over time. Is this regen with a negative value? Can a monster both have this DoT effect and regen?
PriusOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
Lenophis
Senior Member
 
Lenophis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusOmega View Post
8) does health really just cast cure2? Can the spell cast be changed easily? From what I've learned so far, I'm think yes and not that difficult.
Yes.
Code:
C2/171E: A9 2E        LDA #$2E    (Cure 2, however animation and palette are elsewhere)
C2/1720: 85 B6        STA $B6     
C2/1722: A9 05        LDA #$05
C2/1724: 80 3F        BRA $1765
Quote:
9) can I make a spell (likely a buff) that directly alters character stats? (vigor, level, etc.). I'm thinking yes? Isn't haste just a buff that doubles speed (or adds speed)?
Not without code, no. Speed doesn't actually get touched with haste or slow. The ATB filling routine will use different values if either ailment is present.

Quote:
10) can I disable certain sword techs on certain characters? By this I mean; two characters have swordtech. One has 1357 (with 2468 greyed) and another has the reverse. Probably doable, but the solution is probably a hard one.
I don't see how. Whenever a grayed number is hit, the gauge starts over.

Quote:
11) ghosts in the game take damage over time. Is this regen with a negative value? Can a monster both have this DoT effect and regen?
That's the "healing the undead" thing. Healing gets reversed automatically when it hits an undead target, and deadly things heal the undead. It's broken to a degree, as the seizure bit is supposed to be healing the undead, and I don't remember if seizure overwrites regen or vise versa.
__________________
Lenophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
PriusOmega
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default

12) how much damage does poison do? Is this value stat dependent?

13) how do spell immunities work? Can I make something immune to dispel (it always misses)? Can I make something immune to, say, fire3?
PriusOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
Reaper man
Member
 
Reaper man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 5,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusOmega View Post
I've learned that anything is possible (pretty much), but I'm looking for ways to implement my ideas without too much coding (away from assembly).
You're in for a rude awakening...
__________________
Reaper man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Lenophis
Senior Member
 
Lenophis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusOmega View Post
12) how much damage does poison do? Is this value stat dependent?
That depends on stamina. The more stamina a person has, the more damage it does (yes, that's ass backwards).

Quote:
13) how do spell immunities work? Can I make something immune to dispel (it always misses)? Can I make something immune to, say, fire3?
That's something you can find out with some experimenting with FF3usME's spell editor.
__________________
Lenophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
PriusOmega
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks a bunch. This is a good preliminary view of the work involved. I definately have more questions, but this is enough information before I jump into the programs and code. Thanks again
PriusOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:24 AM.

Contact Us - Zophar's Domain - Archive - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.