Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 02-22-2007, 05:22 AM   #1
Seros

Default General Information about SMILE needed please.

I got numerous questions, as I've not played with the editor alot, but I've spent quite a bit of time, and learned quite a few things so far. My main question is, is it possible to add on entirely new rooms through smile? I know you can edit the map, but if I edit a room, and set it to go to a new room, how do I place the new room on the map, and setup entry into it through a door. If there are any instruction documents that extensively detail basic editing, can someone point me to them?
Thanks.
<P ID="signature"></P>
Seros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
Jathys

Default Re: General Information about SMILE needed please.

>but I've spent quite a bit of time, and learned quite
>a few things so far.

Always a good way to start.

>My main question is, is it possible to add on entirely new
>rooms through smile?

Yes. The trick (in the current version) is to (back-up) go into the pointer editor and change the pointer to the level data to an unused section of the game . . . You'd need to look at the area with a hex editor to verify that it's empty, of course, but the editing portion is still done in SMILE.

After making the level data point at the new intended spot for the room, you'll want to save the room... This will save the current level data at the new location. Voila, new room (new level data section anyway). There is more to be done, but a bit too in depth to go into in one post.

>and setup entry into it through a door.

1) Go to the room you want to enter.
2) On the edge of the screen where you want the door to be, type "C" for "clone". This makes a "clone door" . . . Essentially, SMILE is guessing about the default values you'd need for a door entering this room at this location.
3) Go to the room that you will be coming from.
4) Put the mouse over the appropriate door (door type tile, not just the bubble) and type "D" for "Door editor".
5) Choose your clone door from the list and "Transfer" it
6) "Remember" to get the door to keep those values
7) Save the room... You should now have a working door pointing to your new room.

>If there are any instruction documents that extensively detail
>basic editing, can someone point me to them?

Right now, the best documents are in japanese. Can't remember the site, but someone could probably point you in the right direction. I've started help files in the past, but no one ever reads them (ironically, everyone complains that I never finished them). I will be making a very simplistic help system/file/wtfe in the near future to explain some of the "hidden" features of smile.

The files from me will not be until after the next release though.... Possibly not until after the one after that even. Some fairly drastic changes are in the works that change how a lot of stuff is done.
<P ID="signature">http://jathys.zophar.net/index.html</a></P>
Jathys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
Seros

thanks for the reply, didn't expect the first person to help me would be the man himself lol.

Another question, hopefully you read this tonight cause im full of insomnia and messing with smile right now. can I simply expand the rom, and create the new room in the expanded new banks? Its been a few years since I've sat and stared at hex code (metedit only did so much), and i'm hopein to find a bypass to the whole "find this in hex" step, but If that cant be done, ill just do it the regular way.
One more question, then I'll leave ya alone. I've been tryin to set up a debug sort of room, just to test stuff in til i get better at SMILE, and my main thing is, PLMS. I've just been playin around and tried to make the space jump item in a place early in the game, and everytime I enter the room with it inside, the emulator freezes. any idea what im doing wrong, or should know?
I appreciate your help very greatly.
<P ID="signature"></P>
Seros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
Jathys

> can I simply expand the rom, and create the new room in
> the expanded new banks?

Yes, actually. And, in case you didn't know yet, SMILE has an option to expand the ROM a bank at a time.

> I've just been playin around and tried to make the space
> jump item in a place early in the game, and everytime I
>enter the room with it inside, the emulator freezes.

A few things can cause this, but I'm going to take a guess at what it probably is in your case. One of two things:
1) If you added the PLM, SMILE may have screwed up the PLM's for the room.
2) If you changed an existing PLM into the space jump (I'm guessing this is what you did), then check the following:

Index and Index2 have some special uses sometimes. Index should always be safe (though you'll normally want each item to have its own value, the game won't crash if you don't). Index2, however, should be kept as either 00 or 80. The higher values often seen in special PLM's (the map station, for example) are used to call special things and could crash an item PLM easily.

BTW- Feel free to ask questions here, but keep in mind that I have an IRC channel as well. I'm often on and so is Drew (the guy who did Redesign). That's where a lot of people learn some of the details of SMILE . . . #jzd on irc.esper.net
<P ID="signature">http://jathys.zophar.net/index.html</a></P>
Jathys is offline   Reply With Quote