Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 01-16-2005, 08:52 PM   #1
Danoz

Default Putting all the States on a map

http://www.lizardpoint.com/fun/geoquiz/usaquiz.html

At first I didn't believe that more than 90% of American High School students couldn't put all the states on a map... after seeing it with my own eyes, it's fairly upsetting. Why don't they make this a mandatory test in High School? Then there's people who can't even name the states bordering THEIR OWN STATE.

Geesh, I did terrible in High School... but I knew this stuff. Do you know what? They didn't teach it. We're boring our students into stupidity. It's time we revamped the education system to make sure students are learning the important information.

<P ID="signature"></P>
Danoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:38 PM   #2
MooglyGuy

Default Holy fuck!

> At first I didn't believe that more than 90% of American
> High School students couldn't put all the states on a map...
> after seeing it with my own eyes, it's fairly upsetting.

It's more than upsetting for me, it's downright disgusting. I was able to complete a puzzle consisting of the 50 states when I was three years old. Three years old. With no help from an adult. It makes me physically ill to think that there is a generation just two or three years behind me that are such vacuous imbeciles with boxes of shit in their heads.

<P ID="signature"></P>
MooglyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:51 PM   #3
thegodofhellfire

Default Re: Putting all the States on a map

> http://www.lizardpoint.com/fun/geoquiz/usaquiz.html

Woohoo! 56/150!

Having said that, I'm not going to lose sleep over my not being able to tell Vermont from a hole in the ground. I'd personally be more concerned about general ignorance of the wider world anyway. That's the one we should all have nailed, without excuse.

<P ID="signature"></P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by thegodofhellfire on 01/16/05 07:36 PM.</FONT></P>
thegodofhellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:03 PM   #4
icenine0

You know why people don't know this? It's because, honest to God, IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Yeah, I memorized the locations of all 50 states in high school. Did well in Geography. Knew all the capitals too. Now I can remember, like, 35% of them. Now I realize that WHENEVER I need any rote nonsense like this, I can *GASP* look at a map, or a book! BAM. No wasted brain space.

It's an efficient mental cleanup tactic to dump info that doesn't get used. If someone doesn't know where Delaware is, chances are there's nothing that he gives two shits about in Delaware.

<P ID="signature">The more often you fail, the sweeter the taste of success!</P>
icenine0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:28 PM   #5
thegodofhellfire

> You know why people don't know this? It's because, honest
> to God, IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Haha, true as that may be with US states, I still think it'd be nice if more people could point to, say, Afghanistan, Iraq or Israel on a map. I mean, you've got troops in a good number of countries: it'd only be polite if you made the effort to find out where those countries are. But that also goes for the people of all other countries - in particular the G8 Member States, since we wield a good deal of financial and political clout globally. It's important to have some idea of the geography of areas in the news, at least as a matter of context if not plain interest. I'd personally feel far better if the UK were farther up the list, since we used to own - never mind merely occupy - a sizeable chunk of the world. Call it a matter of courtesy.

<P ID="signature"></P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by thegodofhellfire on 01/16/05 06:30 PM.</FONT></P>
thegodofhellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:47 PM   #6
SwampGas

Default 49/84 for asia

>.

<P ID="signature"><marquee direction=right scrollamount=10></marquee></P>
SwampGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:08 AM   #7
Danoz

Default Re: 49/84 for asia

Very good. My Asia is a lot better since I did my study of North Korea.

<P ID="signature"></P>
Danoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:22 AM   #8
Gavin_86

i only got 127/150, and i'm surpised i even did that well. I forget things i should know like this all the time. Like in the middle of a poker game i suddenly couldn't remember how and which way to deal for about 5 minutes. I don't know what date christmas is on, or thanksgiving, or halloween, or easter.

I just never bothered to remember. I have more important things to worry myself with.

<P ID="signature"><center>From my bed I watch TV, Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be president someday

.::http://gavin.panicus.orgGavin.Panicus.org</a> ::.
</center></P>
Gavin_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:28 AM   #9
Gavin_86

Default Re: 49/84 for asia

bam. 52/84. only because i made a PHP script to highlight a country on a global map based on which country was selected for a user profile.

other than that i wouldn't have known Bhutan from my ass.

<P ID="signature"><center>From my bed I watch TV, Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be president someday

.::http://gavin.panicus.orgGavin.Panicus.org</a> ::.
</center></P>
Gavin_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:54 AM   #10
Narvick

Yay, I got a perfect on it! :o

<P ID="signature">!</P>
Narvick is offline   Reply With Quote