Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Website Talk > Site Questions / Suggestions

Old 11-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
Lillymon

I want to raise this again. I've banned two spambots recently by hard deleting all of the posts and then permabanning the bot. This means all traces that the bot ever existed vanish so anyone who didn't see the initial post/posts never even knows there was a bot, which I think is ideal.

Can we establish this as semi-official policy for dealing with obvious spambots? I'd also like to request that users not respond to spambot posts. The bot can't understand any of what you're saying, and it'd be easier to just make the bot vanish if everyone ignored it.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #12
Cornellius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
I want to raise this again. I've banned two spambots recently by hard deleting all of the posts and then permabanning the bot. This means all traces that the bot ever existed vanish so anyone who didn't see the initial post/posts never even knows there was a bot, which I think is ideal.

Can we establish this as semi-official policy for dealing with obvious spambots? I'd also like to request that users not respond to spambot posts. The bot can't understand any of what you're saying, and it'd be easier to just make the bot vanish if everyone ignored it.
I agree with everything you said. It's like yelling at an answering machine.

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #13
Iconoclast

Bot or not there are probably users who would get more offended seeing a moderator edit their post--even if it's just deleting the text and replacing it with the reason--than a complete removal.

You can give reasons without editing the post; delete it and fill in a reason for the deletion reason field. It's for other moderators to see but not the users. Zophar's isn't some college class where the moderators lecture fans of emulation on what happens when a rule is offended; it's just janitor work and simple patience for inevitable newbs. Other than it being easier for the moderator and a chance to vent at stupid people online (hello on the Internet?) what's a better method than that?

But let's not talk to reaper man now; it's obvious that judging by Edman's responsibility we may as well admire that he doesn't care. It's really bad that I should find a reason to post about moderation in a public forum on a forum board that isn't anything about how to moderate ; this is just my feedback for a neglected situation.

Logically if you're on the oldest emulation site with the oldest crew you know people who won't grow out of being savages.
Iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:49 AM   #14
The 9th Sage

Quote:
I agree with you. This is what I do. I just wish there was more we could to do preemptively stop the spamming so we didn't have to deal with them in the first place.

I also want to thank those who report these posts.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #15
Reaper man

Quote:

I'll be honest, after enough complaints about not deleting the posts, I started to hard delete more and more. This is what I do each time now. Sadly, we're not getting to the root of the problem. We really need to update the board software so that admins (me, 9th sage, and edman) can add more anti spam measures so that we stop them before they can even register.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:59 AM   #16
Rattlehead

Eh, Reaper man is Reaper man...but I am glad to see him being serious about the topic now.

Ah, by the way...since I've not been around too much lately...are users like 'Omega (insert some crappy fanboy sounding word here)' considered spambots? What exactly is a spambot?

Click here to level up my card!

Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:12 AM   #17
hcs

Rule of thumb: if they're selling something, they're spambots.
hcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #18
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
Eh, Reaper man is Reaper man...but I am glad to see him being serious about the topic now.

Ah, by the way...since I've not been around too much lately...are users like 'Omega (insert some crappy fanboy sounding word here)' considered spambots? What exactly is a spambot?

A spambot is rather self explanatory. It is an automated bot that searches the internet for web forums and registers itself so that it can post advertisements (spam).

omega was just a fucktard.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #19
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
A spambot is rather self explanatory. It is an automated bot that searches the internet for web forums and registers itself so that it can post advertisements (spam)
Most of the time you can tell the difference between them and legitimate users. If you ever see any of their posts, you'll know what I'm talking about. They are obvious ads, usually the same exact thing in each of their posts.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:22 AM   #20
symbolic X

Most spam-bots may also harvest email addresses from most message board sites (especially those discovered by big search engines like Google) and use this to spoil most legit inboxes. All I can do is hit the ignore and report buttons.

Lillymon: If you can, try to review the spam-bot messages and use word censoring or filtering. That's what I would do.