Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
puduhead

Default Mmmm Military Recruiting Tactics...

of underage school kids no less.
http://www.democracynow.org/2008/8/6...reatening_high

IRVING GONZALEZ: I think I can do better with my life out here than in there.

CPL. LISETTE DIAZ: You think so? The way the economy is going right now?

IRVING GONZALEZ: Iíd rather struggle and be free.

CPL. LISETTE DIAZ: I have your best interestówhatís that?

IRVING GONZALEZ: I think Iíd rather struggle.

CPL. LISETTE DIAZ: Youíd rather struggle?

IRVING GONZALEZ: Yeah.

CPL. LISETTE DIAZ: Are you serious? Think about what youíre saying. The way the economy is going right now and the way itís going to go for the next couple of years, itís not looking good. Sometimes you have to grow up and learn how to be a man and to take care of stuff on your own. You know what Iím saying? Do you want to sit there and live with your mom for the next three, four, five, six years or whatever? You know, you want to do something different now to what your friends are doing, because when you come back and you see what your friends are doing, still living at home with mom and dad, struggling, trying to make a job, make money, make a living, youíre going to be like, bam, Iím glad I didnít. You know what Iím saying? Iím telling you from experience, because I see that.

IRVING GONZALEZ: The main thing is, I want out. I donít want to be in it. I donít want to go to the Army.

IRVING GONZALEZ: Is there a way out? Is there a way for me to get out, because I donít want to go in there if you are just going to likeÖ

SGT. GLENN MARQUETTE: No, there is not a way out. You signed a binding contract.

IRVING GONZALEZ: Thereís no way out?

SGT. GLENN MARQUETTE: No. When you sign a contractÖ

IRVING GONZALEZ: But, I mean, itís kind of like a family thing, too. Iíd rather just stay here. What if I just donít show up?

SGT. GLENN MARQUETTE: Then, guess what. Youíre AWOL, absent without leave, punishable under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, Article 86: Deserter. Itís in your contract. Read it. Itís clear as day. So then, guess what happens.

IRVING GONZALEZ: Whatís that?

SGT. GLENN MARQUETTE: Guess what happens to you, Iíll tell you what happens to you, OK? This is what will happen. You want to go to school? You will not get no loans, because all college loans are federal and government loans. So youíll be black-marked from that. As soon as you get pulled over for a speeding ticket or anything with the law, theyíre gonna see that youíre a deserter. Then theyíre going to apprehend you, take you to jail. Theyíre going to call up the military police, the nearest military installation, and they will come down there, correctional officers, 31-series in the Army, pick you up, detain you, put you on a plane and take you to Fort [inaudible], Missouri, where you will do your time, as you deserve. So guess what. All that lovey-dovey ďI want to go to collegeĒ and all this? Guess what. You just threw it out the window, because you just screwed your life. Thereís a right way to do things, and thereís a wrong way to do things.