Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 11-16-2005, 02:03 AM   #1
strizzuth

Default n00b needs FFVI help

First off, hi everyone.

Second, I've been using the FFVI tools at ZD to do a graphical hack of Final Fantasy VI. I'm not having trouble using the programs, but I've been getting REALLY weird results. Graphical errors and the like that I can't seem to fix. I tried using a standard tile editor but I couldn't find the tiles I was trying to change, and I think I somehow made the game reference the wrong sprites! If anyone can help me with this I'd be grateful.

In particular I'm having trouble with the esper graphics, they don't display completely and one seems to be using the wrong sprite with a different pallate.
strizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:44 AM   #2
Reaper man

Default Re: n00b needs FFVI help

> I tried using a standard tile editor but I couldn't
> find the tiles I was trying to change, and I think I somehow
> made the game reference the wrong sprites!

I would say start fresh (if possible) and http://www.rpglegion.com/ff6/hack/ff3info.txtread this</a>
it's a ROM map. It will tell you everything you need to know about where everything is in the game. Remember, SNES pointers are stored in little endian. If you don't know what endianness is, then I wouldn't recommend messing with any of the pointers. BTW, what tile editor are you using?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:41 AM   #3
User

> In particular I'm having trouble with the esper graphics,
> they don't display completely and one seems to be using the
> wrong sprite with a different pallate.

I use Final Fantasy 3 Sprite Editor (http://www.zophar.net/utilities/download/ff3se.zip). It's really good and it detects the palette colors. Your problem could be using a 24 bit picture and downgrading it to a 16 color picture (see attachment) or the program.

I hope this helps...

C:Serverxampphtdocszopharoldwwwthrea...y Pictures.zip
User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
Dark Knight Kain

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I've been using the FFVI tools at ZD to do a graphical hack of Final Fantasy VI. I'm not having trouble using the programs, but I've been getting REALLY weird results. Graphical errors and the like that I can't seem to fix.

<hr></blockquote>

Don't use FF3Edit. Use FF3usME, it's just as good. There's a newer version at Lord J's homepage, which adds a few new things. It only lacks font, dialogue and map editing. All three of them work fine in FF3Edit, just don't touch the other editors (And don't make too many huge new areas on the map).
Dark Knight Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:13 PM   #5
strizzuth

Oh, okay. Thanks. I'd been using both of those and you may have just told me the source of my problem. I'd been using appropriate graphics files, but for some reason when I imported one it immediately displayed as the wrong graphic with a different palette. Switching the one changes the other as well. A lot of this stuff is pretty over my head. I'd really just wanted to change some graphics around and it's becoming a major project!

I also have the problem of graphics not displaying fully. For example, I changed the graphic of Shiva. I didn't exceed the memory limits or anything, and I switched to an appropriate size (using FF3 Sprite Editor), but in the game the graphic I used was constrained to the proportions of the original Shiva sprite.
strizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote