Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 01-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
ffta707

Default FFTA assembly hacking

After messing around with final fantasy tactics advance for a long time, I got into the hacking buisness. I have been using a hex editor, and TLP for years, and I finally found a good working table file. I got to the text seccessfully. I edited a few things, first, the soldiers class name to Knight. But in game it appeared, /\g/\j/\a/\ or somthing. Also, when I edit storyline, the display message just displays to fast with random charicters/ letters, then dissapears before I can even read it.

Second, Is there another, different program I need to edit the assembly of the game. Like, what monsters are in what map, or, the contents of abilities in a certain job. Like say I want Ninja to have power break. Or even somthing that edits allowing monsters to be in your party. If so, could you give me some pograms that might do such a thing, or mabe it has to be a hex editor, but I just dont see how it could.

Thanks in advance.
ffta707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:36 AM   #2
InVerse

The most likely reason for text to show up differently in the game than it does in a hex editor is an incorrect table file. Alternatively, it's possible that the class names, menu items and other such things use a different table than the dialogue text. Try changing only one letter and see if it appears correctly.

As for your other problem, it sounds like you're overwriting control codes. There are bytes (different in every game) that control when a page stops/erases/etc. If you don't include those bytes in your new text, the game has no idea when to pause the text or wait for a prompt. Look at the text from the beginning of the game. There will be one or more bytes between the end of the first page of text and the start of the next page. These will be control codes. Experiment with those values and you'll figure out how to control the text.

As for your other question... There are no programs to hack FFTA. In order to do the things you're talking about, you would have to disassemble the game's engine and figure out how it works. This can be done with a hex editor but it could take you 10 years to accomplish. You'd be much better off learning ARM assembly language and hacking the game properly. Once you've figured out how the engine works, then you could code a simple editor but that's the last step in a very long process.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
ffta707

Could anyone give me tips on editing the stats of a charicter. Or how to find out where it is?
ffta707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:25 AM   #4
InVerse

Parasyte's Debugging Document is probably the best information you're going to find. It's for FCEU, which is an NES emulator, so you'll have to figure out how to apply the information to VBA's debugger but the general techniques are the same.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote