Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 08-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
hawaiian_hunk89

Post Need Help

so i'm kinda new to this but i wanted to know which good playstation emulator is best for a mac because i want to play bust a groove and i downloaded the game and the SPCH bios and i also downloaded the PCSX emulator but nothing seems to go together like the emulator doesn't recognize the bios and i can't do anything with the game i also want to find an emulator that plays beat mania can anyone help me

Last edited by Reaper man; 08-19-2008 at 05:05 PM. Reason: fixed...
hawaiian_hunk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian_hunk89 View Post
so i'm kinda new to this but i wanted to know which good playstation emulator is best for a mac because i want to play bust a groove and i downloaded the game and the SPCH bios and i also downloaded the PCSX emulator but nothing seems to go together like the emulator doesn't recognize the bios and i can't do n e thing with the game i also want to find an emulator that plays beat mania can anyone help me
I can't help ya too much with the Mac part of it.

There are a few BIOS version files. Read the program documentation and make sure that you have the right one and that the file is not corrupted. Also, you may have to set a location for the BIOS file somewhere in a config in PCSX, perhaps. Maybe someone will respond later that has a Mac.
Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
Haoie

Epsxe doesn't have a Mac version, right? I never recall seeing it.
Haoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haoie View Post
Epsxe doesn't have a Mac version, right? I never recall seeing it.
Actually, there are very few PlayStation emulators of any description available for Mac OS X. All I could find was a test build of PCSX, which will be PowerPC-only due to its age. pSX will probably have a port at some point in the future, a task not made any easier by the fact that pSX Author does not intend to open source the emulator in the near future (the surest way to put me off using your emulator). It should also be possible to run Windows-based PlayStation emulators through Darwine, though that's never ideal.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:43 AM   #5
Umiliphus

Pcsx Test Build 3 will run on modern macos, sometimes. However, it only plays games off of CDs for some baffling reason so you need to mount an iso as a disk image. In Windows that is done easily enough, but the only Macos thing I could find to do that was part of a considerably larger combined utility for discy things which hungered for dollars. So then there was the issue of getting that, and oh, woe/trickery. Toast, I think it was called.

Worth noting is that Macos comes with its own tool for mounting discs and scandalously riding them all through the town, but it won't permit you to use ones it can't figure out the nature of, making it totally useless for this purpose.
Umiliphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
WatchSmart

Edited to add: Shoot... I see that this advice helps the poster above me, who isn't even asking for help. And it does nothing for the original poster.

If you have a copy of TOAST, you can mount the iso and it should work. I think that the official site of the emulator suggests using it.

Unfortunately, Toast is only available as a commerical product.

Here's the Toast website:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/to.../overview.html

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21376

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian_hunk89 View Post
so i'm kinda new to this but i wanted to know which good playstation emulator is best for a mac because i want to play bust a groove and i downloaded the game and the SPCH bios and i also downloaded the PCSX emulator but nothing seems to go together like the emulator doesn't recognize the bios and i can't do anything with the game i also want to find an emulator that plays beat mania can anyone help me

Last edited by WatchSmart; 08-20-2008 at 08:10 AM.
WatchSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
ToastyCheesy

Yes, for emulators, you really have no choice except for PCSX, or Virtual Game Station if you find it.
ToastyCheesy is offline   Reply With Quote