Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 05-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
Videogamer555

Default need to find a copy of spc2mod

This converts the special Super Nintendo SPC sound chip sound data files (*.spc) to MOD files (*.mod). I KNOW that such exists because of this post in another forum I found while google searching for "spc2mod".

Quote:
And SPC2MOD (using the Impulse Tracker engine) makes wonderful copies at a good file size.
Yet while I know it exists, it is IMPOSSIBLE to find any site that contains the download link. That's what I was looking for when I did a googled "spc2mod". And still no way to download it. Anybody here have a copy or know some secret website that has it that they could post here?
Videogamer555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
InVerse

The fact that Googling for it *only* brings up forum posts of people asking where to download it suggests to me that the program doesn't actually exist. Someone probably imagined it at some point in time and other people started thinking it was a real program. I mean, this isn't some top secret super duper piracy program that would need to be kept underground for some reason, if the program actually existed, Google would know about it.

I've seen a couple of programs that suggest that OpenSPC can convert SPC to MOD, so you might try that. There's a program here on ZD that says it can convert SPC to WAV, also, so assuming there's a program that will convert WAV to MOD, that might be another option.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
nensondubois

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/rippers/snessor95.html

This will convert sound samples to wav by using the rom image, not the .SPC for importing into a .mod or whatever.
nensondubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
The 9th Sage

Hm...I suppose you could use this to make a MIDI, though I haven't used it so I don't know how well it does, and then use Snessor to rip the samples from the game that song came from (actually, you might be able to use SPC to ROM to make a ROM of the SPC that you can then rip only those particular samples in that song from, though I've never tried that. It should make a ROM that's playable in emulators though, I know that works at least. :P

Use OpenSPC if that is working for you though, instead of trying this long and convoluted process.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Videogamer555

Sorry, but someone DID mention that the program exists, so I don't think it's a question of if it does, but rather WHERE to find it. Are any of you familiar enough with sites in the "depths of the netz" to be able to find this apparently very rare program SPC2MOD? Some place that apparently google's bots haven't found yet.
Videogamer555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
InVerse

You'll find nearly half-a-million hits asserting that the flying spaghetti monster exists. If there were a program called SPC2MOD, there'd be absolutely no reason to hide it from Google. The only way to hide something from Google is to make sure it's stored on a web page that isn't linked to from any page that Google is aware of or that use robots.txt to block Google. So why would anyone go to all of this trouble to block Google from indexing a harmless app?

The oldest reference to SPC2MOD that Google is aware of is from 2004. Do you really think that after six years, nobody would have uploaded that program to a public emulation site? And looking at that six year old reference, nobody even claims that SPC2MOD exists... someone asked for a program to convert SPC to MIDI. Someone else responded that they would also like one that converted SPC to MOD. Someone replied to the original poster mentioning SPC2MIDI and where to download it. He then said "If you find SPC2MOD, let me know." He wasn't claiming that such a program existed, he was simply referencing the name of SPC2MIDI.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
The 9th Sage

Just to reiterate, I looked for a while myself to make sure it wasn't around anywhere and couldn't find it either.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote