Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 07-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Donnybrook

Default Help with VBA please!

Well, I've downloaded VisualBoy Advance so that I could play some old nostalgic Pokemon games. I found a trusty download as well as the old games. I opened up the emulator and loaded in 'Pokemon Red Version' just to give it a shot. The game loaded up just as it had on my GameBoy some years ago. However, once it got past the menu screen, and Professor Oak appeared, the 'enter' key or 'start' key would no longer provide me with any results. I figured the file was faulty and tried more games, all of which load up perfectly until they get past the menu screen. I am not able to actually play the games even though they are loaded up in the emulator. I get stuck at the same spot everytime on every game.

Any advice or in depth help would be more than appreciated.
Donnybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
InVerse

What version of VBA are you using? I just tested Pokemon Red in 1.8.0b3 and it worked perfectly fine. For the record, the good version of the ROM should have a name similar to "Pokemon - Red Version (UE) [S][!].gb". If you have a ROM with [b] or [p] or anything other than [S] and [!] in it, that may be your problem. (The [S] means the game supports Super Gameboy and the [!] means it is a verified good dump) Also, I don't think it would cause your problem, but in the Options menu, looking in the Gameboy menu and make sure that Auto is selected. If GBA is selected, I suppose that might cause some sort of problem.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Donnybrook

Thanks for the suggestions and help. I'll give that a shot and check my versions. Hopefully this works! Thanks again.

Edit: My version is 1.7.2
Old 07-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Donnybrook

I tried a few things you suggested, InVerse. I downloaded version 1.8.0, yet still no changing results. I also tried finding a version of the game with the [s] and [!] indicators as you mentioned. I wasn't able to locate a file with those labels. Is there a site or download database that you recommend? No. Feel free to PM me with any information if you feel it is necessary. Thanks again for taking the time to assist me.

Edit: I ended up finding a version of the game with [s] and [!] in it, and I'm still getting stuck at the same spot; the first part of Professor Oaks dialogue.

Last edited by Reaper man; 07-12-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: take the hint punk.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
Isildur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnybrook View Post
I wasn't able to...Feel free to PM me
Ack. The "..." part isn't wise to ask in a post, because due to ZD's quest to walk a certain legal line (a certain subdomain notwithsanding), such request aren't allowed in posts.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
Reaper man

Quote:
Is there a site or download database that you recommend?
Be very lucky that I'm too tired today to go through the trouble of banning you. This is a warning. Asking for ROM/ISO/BIOS sites is a bannable offense.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
Red-XIII

Now don't get all bent outta shape but: roms.zophar.net

That's here, this site. Right? That is a rom site is it not? Not to mention the exact game he mentioned can be downloaded from there.

Now like I said no hard feelings or anything but it's a fact. That section is part of zophar.net.
Red-XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Donnybrook

Pardon my carelessness, boys. I believe we're all after the same thing, so instead of threatening with punishments, maybe a PM would suit just fine to let a newcomer as myself know the lines. All I'm looking for is legitimate help. Regardless of the legality, our aim remains the same. Just looking for some answers.

Still looking for some help.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-XIII View Post
Now don't get all bent outta shape but: roms.zophar.net

That's here, this site. Right? That is a rom site is it not? Not to mention the exact game he mentioned can be downloaded from there.

Now like I said no hard feelings or anything but it's a fact. That section is part of zophar.net.
That subdomain is not affiliated with this forum/ZD (even though it links to it, which really pisses me off). The rules here still apply. Unless Edman says otherwise, there are no rom requests or links to them. PERIOD.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #10
Reaper man

Quote:
Pardon my carelessness, boys. I believe we're all after the same thing, so instead of threatening with punishments, maybe a PM would suit just fine to let a newcomer as myself know the lines. All I'm looking for is legitimate help. Regardless of the legality, our aim remains the same. Just looking for some answers.

Still looking for some help.
If you read the RULES first, you would have known better.