Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 09-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #21
The 9th Sage

Reminds me of the time where the tech argued with me over Internet Explorer being integrated into Windows. He kept insisting it wasn't. See, the problem was that IE wouldn't work, and I was having terrible problems with Explorer too. Once I finally found my disc with IE on it and reinstalled it, both were fine again (this was on 98).

He was less than helpful as you might imagine. Mostly I was calling them for an opinion on that as the solution since we were on dial up and it was going to take many hours to download IE again.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #22
VT-Vincent

Personally, I've found that arguing with robotic tech support is like shouting at the wall. The most effective strategy I've found is to humor them and "walk through" their alleged troubleshooting.

For example...

Tech: Ok, what I would like you to do is shut down and reboot your computer.

*5 seconds pass*

User: Done, the issue is still happening. What next?

Tech: Uh.. that was very quick. Next, I would like you to defragment the hard drive.

*another 5 seconds pass*

User: Done, still isn't working.

Tech: That was really fast, I don't think it's supposed to happen that quick.

User: It's just a testament to your fine manufacturing.

Tech: Ok... it looks like it's a hardware issue. We'll set up for a repair.

Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
VT-Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:08 AM   #23
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-Vincent View Post
Personally, I've found that arguing with robotic tech support is like shouting at the wall. The most effective strategy I've found is to humor them and "walk through" their alleged troubleshooting.
Hah. Yeah, I've let them guide me through it before, only once though. After that I realized that they had to do that and just humored them pretending I did it.

Twitter
Old 10-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #24
MegaManJuno

Haha, oh man... Verizon DSL tech support... Where to start..?

Similar to one of the posters above, also called once about intermittent drops ending in complete lack of service for hours at a time. After being bounced around the company for an hour on the phone, they start with the usual "what's your OS", "do you have a router?", etc. Of course, I was quick to point out, it was an issue between the modem and their end, since connection should be made regardless of having a PC or router connected to the damn thing. They still insisted, so I reluctantly followed through, knowing it was a waste of time. Finally, they sent out a tech to the place, who tried to tell me that not 1, but 2 DSL modems (one was from a prior Verizon account I brought out just to see if the first one had died) had been "fried" magically at the same time. Funny thing is, service was fine the next day, and the supposedly "fried" DSL modem I was using continued to chug along without issue for the next year or more until we moved.

Then there's the whole change of service debacle when we did move... Promising service when they had no further lines at this apartment complex capable of carrying DSL... Taking weeks to even schedule a connection date. Yeah, we canceled after the last bit. Now if I can just figure out why SuddenLink here will be fine all day long, but then I'll get multiple disconnects after around 12am-1am.
MegaManJuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:15 AM   #25
Cornellius

-Click on that icon.

- I think I have a virus ! The screen went black, I lost Windows.

- ... This is MS-Dos. It's the heart of your computer (at least before NT kernels)

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #26
Suddenlink Help

Default Suddenlink Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaManJuno View Post
Haha, oh man... Verizon DSL tech support... Where to start..?

Similar to one of the posters above, also called once about intermittent drops ending in complete lack of service for hours at a time. After being bounced around the company for an hour on the phone, they start with the usual "what's your OS", "do you have a router?", etc. Of course, I was quick to point out, it was an issue between the modem and their end, since connection should be made regardless of having a PC or router connected to the damn thing. They still insisted, so I reluctantly followed through, knowing it was a waste of time. Finally, they sent out a tech to the place, who tried to tell me that not 1, but 2 DSL modems (one was from a prior Verizon account I brought out just to see if the first one had died) had been "fried" magically at the same time. Funny thing is, service was fine the next day, and the supposedly "fried" DSL modem I was using continued to chug along without issue for the next year or more until we moved.

Then there's the whole change of service debacle when we did move... Promising service when they had no further lines at this apartment complex capable of carrying DSL... Taking weeks to even schedule a connection date. Yeah, we canceled after the last bit. Now if I can just figure out why SuddenLink here will be fine all day long, but then I'll get multiple disconnects after around 12am-1am.
Hi! I am with Suddenlink. Sorry to hear about your intermintent connection issues. If you continue to experience problems, please feel free to contact me at tina-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thanks!
Suddenlink Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #27
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenlink Help View Post
Hi! I am with Suddenlink. Sorry to hear about your intermintent connection issues. If you continue to experience problems, please feel free to contact me at tina-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thanks!
what in the fu....

Man, suddenlink reps really go out of their way to find and offer tech support to customers, huh? :o

I shit you not, I took a look at the user info. This person actually is from fucking suddenlink.

Uhms... welcome?
Old 10-31-2009, 01:39 AM   #28
Lillymon

Sky on the other hand don't even have the courtesy to ring back when they promise too (a habit they share with Orange). I was reminded of the problems I had getting Sky+ HD working earlier when my box (less than six months old) suddenly froze on a blank blue screen. It was totally unresponsive to input and wouldn't even shut down. I had to reset it at the mains to get it back. This worries me because it's an Amstrad box, and Amstrad boxes are notorious among long-term Sky users for being fantastically unreliable and prone to sudden hardware failures (though build quality has been improving apparently, we'll see). I'm pretty sure it's still under warranty (brand-new when we got it) so I may be speaking to Sky again soon.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:06 AM   #29
The 9th Sage

Oh yes. If you're under warranty especially I'd call and complain. You'd think they could at least get you something that isn't going to fail at the drop of a hat.

Twitter
Old 11-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #30
MegaManJuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
what in the fu....

Man, suddenlink reps really go out of their way to find and offer tech support to customers, huh? :o

I shit you not, I took a look at the user info. This person actually is from fucking suddenlink.

Uhms... welcome?
Definitely took me by surprise to see that here. Something I never expected to see as a reply, that's for certain.
MegaManJuno is offline   Reply With Quote