Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 10-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
Dadalama

Scratch that it looks like LZSS compression (I had a feeling the text was compressed so I looked up text compression before I even started looking for the text). But atleast I found some of the dialog text.

BTW I am using Hex Workshop for it.

Last edited by Dadalama; 10-20-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Dadalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #12
Fla Flash
Staff (News -- Rom Hacking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadalama View Post
Scratch that it looks like LZSS compression (I had a feeling the text was compressed so I looked up text compression before I even started looking for the text). But atleast I found some of the dialog text.

Most of the GBA games use LZSS....Hex Workshop is good, but I'm getting fond of WinHex.
Fla Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla Flash View Post
Most of the GBA games use LZSS....Hex Workshop is good, but I'm getting fond of WinHex.
WinHex or WindHex? Because the first one is just a regular hex editor whereas the latter is a hex editor with actual ROM hacking abilities.

Windhex is the best hex editor at the moment for ROM hacking purposes. Someone was working on a new one that should be really nice but I'm not sure how far it's progressed. Hex Workshop is excellent as a general purpose hex editor but it's table handling abilities are crappy and it doesn't have any relative search capabilities.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #14
Dadalama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungodly View Post
WinHex or WindHex? Because the first one is just a regular hex editor whereas the latter is a hex editor with actual ROM hacking abilities.

Windhex is the best hex editor at the moment for ROM hacking purposes. Someone was working on a new one that should be really nice but I'm not sure how far it's progressed. Hex Workshop is excellent as a general purpose hex editor but it's table handling abilities are crappy and it doesn't have any relative search capabilities.
thanks for the tip man
Old 10-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadalama View Post

You sure about that? I've seen GBA squeenix games (ok, one, but still) use 16 bit values (similar to unicode) for character storage.

edit: I took a quick look... maybe you're right, and it is compressed. Then again, another group developed it, and not squeenix itself.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
You sure about that? I've seen GBA squeenix games (ok, one, but still) use 16 bit values (similar to unicode) for character storage.
This game appears to do that for system text (things like CHOOSE YOUR CHARACTER) but I didn't see any dialogue/story text when searching using wildcards.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:23 AM   #17
Dadalama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post

edit: I took a quick look... maybe you're right, and it is compressed. Then again, another group developed it, and not squeenix itself.
well Brownie brown also did Mother 3 so I can swing by starmen.net and send Tomato a pm to see if that one uses it. I'm sure it's compressed though the only story I can find is a little bit of dialog regarding the dwarves and some other misc things. I'm guessing part of it was the dream dialog from Count Lee's mansion iirc. Hmmm perhaps I'll get a screenshot of what I mean for you later.