Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 02-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
Fla Flash
Staff (News -- Rom Hacking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Probably not any worse then the problems caused by 'straight divorce'.
And you get two cookies. Great point.

And as far as the "marriage should be between a man and a woman" deal, I'm not so sure that's an accurate or necessarily true statement. Who you love and why you love shouldn't be of anyone else's concern. Emotions aren't taxable (yet) or illegal. When that happens, I think I'll secede from the human race.
Fla Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla Flash View Post
Who you love and why you love shouldn't be of anyone else's concern.
And for this I'm giving you some cake my friend.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #13
mushroom blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIrvine View Post
Ummm wow? A marriage should be between a man and woman.

I can't wait to hear about the first 'gay divorce' and the myriad of problems involved in it.
funny you should mention that. seems it happened. the only problem was that they needed a divorce that Canada would recognize (they got married there).

the world didn't end, or anything. two people got a divorce, and moved on with their lives.

more importantly, why is the state given legal power to marry two people? shouldn't marriage be a religious/spiritual agreement, rather than a legal contract? the hell with gay or straight marriage; it's none of the state's concern, IMO.
mushroom blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
jdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom blue View Post
funny you should mention that. seems it happened. the only problem was that they needed a divorce that Canada would recognize (they got married there).

the world didn't end, or anything. two people got a divorce, and moved on with their lives.

more importantly, why is the state given legal power to marry two people? shouldn't marriage be a religious/spiritual agreement, rather than a legal contract? the hell with gay or straight marriage; it's none of the state's concern, IMO.
The state has legal right to marry people because special privileges are given to married people. People decided that marriage was beneficial to our country, so the state sanctions marriage and gives it advantages over being single (I think it's a hold-over from British Common Law). That said, this idea about changing the definition of marriage is bunk. Marriage changes its definition every couple of generations. Last time it was interracial marriage, before that it was women being partners in marriage (rather than property), before that, it was marriage for love (which used to be considered idolatry, a more serious sin against God than gay marriage).
jdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #15
shawn

I agree. Prop 8 is just another bullshit law. They say we're the country of freedom, RIIIGGGHHHTTTT, tell me another big lie while infringing on anothers freedom. Good post BTW
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #16
toasterhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom blue View Post

Exactly. I don't believe in legal marriage. Sure it has it's benefits, but I really am more interested in the spiritual aspect. Although I am not really in a hurry to get married. It's not something I could see just happening on a whim. That's for sure.

It kind of goes without saying that also it seems relationships in general aren't really treated as special/sacred as they used to. I just simply want to share my life with one person, whom doesn't sleep around and isn't an idiot. But lately my slight adventure into dating, at least the most recent anyhow... was a complete and utter mess. The guy had his head pretty far up his ass. So that being said, I don't see myself getting married anytime soon. Lol. It would really take someone special.

That's what I feel a lot of people forget about. They want the 2.5 kids, house, a husband/wife, etc. And in trying to become what they think they want they actually forget about who they are. I can't stand it.

I'll digress. Sorry if that's a bit less than concise.

toasterhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasterhed View Post
It kind of goes without saying that also it seems relationships in general aren't really treated as special/sacred as they used to.
I see why you'd say this, though it really depends on the individual. I myself hold relationships sacred. That said, I've dated a woman before who apparently didn't hold as high a regard as I did, so I guess I've seen it from both angles in a way.

(heh, never want to see HER again :P)

Twitter
Old 03-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #18
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
I see why you'd say this, though it really depends on the individual. I myself hold relationships sacred. That said, I've dated a woman before who apparently didn't hold as high a regard as I did, so I guess I've seen it from both angles in a way.

(heh, never want to see HER again :P)
Interesting. My relationship is rather different. It's completely open, so while we love each other, we still enjoy seeing other people. We're just different that way, I guess. :3
Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #19
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
Interesting. My relationship is rather different. It's completely open, so while we love each other, we still enjoy seeing other people. We're just different that way, I guess. :3
Let me put it this way...it's one thing if you both have an open agreement about this, but another when she goes behind your back with a guy, and lying through her teeth about it even though it wasn't hard for me to find the truth once I found out (and sadly I learned that he's not the only one).

Needless to say, I'm more careful about who I date these days.

Twitter
Old 03-10-2009, 04:44 AM   #20
toasterhed

Yea, those kinds of relationships aren't any less valid. I know people who have open relationships that are just as honest and loving. It really takes a mature couple though.

toasterhed is offline   Reply With Quote