Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 02-21-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
stryk-9

Exclamation Super Mario Bros Game Genie Code

Finally I can tell everyone about the code.
NUTANT
makes the background look different even tho everything is still in the same spots.

It's a code I've used with a real NES and Super Mario Bros Cartridge and Game Genie. Verified Working.

I'm thinking some roms aren't true roms of Super Mario Bros as the code doesn't seem to work in a few Emu's that support Game Genie Codes.

Last edited by Reaper man; 02-22-2009 at 03:34 AM. Reason: changed to refect actual game. Silly poster...
stryk-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:28 AM   #2
Reaper man

uhm... that doesn't look like a valid game genie code.

EDIT: it's for SMB, so I fixed the post, go me.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
InVerse

It isn't. The SNES Game Genie only accepts codes in hexadecimal, so out of those 6 letters, only one of them is even enterable. Not to mention that valid SNES Game Genie codes are 8 characters long, not six. So.... If this code was, in fact, verified to work on a real SNES/Game Genie then it was done so under the influence of a copious amount of hallucinogenic drugs.

Now, the code would be valid on an NES Game Genie. Out of curiosity, I tested it with Super Mario Bros. It works, but all it does is corrupt the top 3 layers of the background, nothing interesting.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #4
stryk-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
It isn't. The SNES Game Genie only accepts codes in hexadecimal, so out of those 6 letters, only one of them is even enterable. Not to mention that valid SNES Game Genie codes are 8 characters long, not six. So.... If this code was, in fact, verified to work on a real SNES/Game Genie then it was done so under the influence of a copious amount of hallucinogenic drugs.

Now, the code would be valid on an NES Game Genie. Out of curiosity, I tested it with Super Mario Bros. It works, but all it does is corrupt the top 3 layers of the background, nothing interesting.
Sort for my misunderstanding. It's been years since I've used it. Now go and beat the game with the code on. I DARE YA. lol
stryk-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:34 AM   #5
InVerse

Again, all it does is corrupt the top 3 layers of the background. I've tried both the PRG0 and PRG1 versions of the Japanese/North American release, both versions of the European release, plus the Super Mario Bros. & Duck Hunt *and* Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt & World Class Track Meet ROMs. The only difference is in how it corrupts the top 3 layers of the background. Most of the versions simply have the blue sky overwritten with 0s, while the 2 combo carts have it overwritten with other characters. The palette is changed in attract mode and in the between level screens, but the game itself plays/looks as normal.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote