Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 01:10 AM   #1
ARProductions2009

Default ARProductions2009's review thread

(Admin's note: There were too many of these. I felt it would be a bit cleaner to just merge all of these into one thread. It makes more sense that way. Also, you could subscribe to this thread to get more reviews from sprint car fan, but I don't see why you would... ;p

Admin's note 2: Come to think of it, this should be in gaming/console talk. Moving.)

This is my first ever game review. I hope you enjoy. I am not trying to be the best reviewer out there.

Super Mario Bros (NES):

Watch in HD if you like

Yes I was a bit nervous
Old 12-18-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
SpaceTiger

You might want to consider writing out a script or an outline beforehand, it will help keep you focused when you're speaking. A game review should be like a book report in school, but with slightly less formal language. Address the specific details of the game, emphasizing the pros and cons, and try to avoid colloquialisms like, "that was cool", unless accompanied by the kind of imagery needed for your listener to agree with you.

Since SMB is a known classic, it might be good to focus on those things modern gamers might be frustrated with (e.g. no ability to save, occasional glitches, boxy graphics, imperfect hit detection). This is not for the sake of trashing the game, but just to emphasize how we've improved on it.

Last edited by SpaceTiger; 12-18-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
ARProductions2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceTiger View Post
You might want to consider writing out a script or an outline beforehand, it will help keep you focused when you're speaking. A game review should be like a book report in school, but with slightly less formal language. Address the specific details of the game, emphasizing the pros and cons, and try to avoid colloquialisms like, "that was cool", unless accompanied by the kind of imagery needed for your listener to agree with you.

Since SMB is a known classic, it might be good to focus on those things modern gamers might be frustrated with (e.g. no ability to save, occasional glitches, boxy graphics, imperfect hit detection). This is not for the sake of trashing the game, but just to emphasize how we've improved on it.
Thanks for the ideas. I was nervous making this video, and well. I didn't know how it was gonna turn out. I plan on writing a script for the next video.

I got a lot of work to do on these videos. I had a pros and cons recorded. Just the thing is. I thought I sounded like a idiot. lol

It might be a while before the next review. Might be a few days. I am fighting a cold, and last night I slipped and fell on some ice. So I am recovering from that.

Anyways. thanks for the ideas!
Old 12-20-2008, 01:17 AM   #4
ARProductions2009

Default Game Review #2: Kirby's Dream Land

I have another game review done. This time I did Kirby’s Dream Land for the Gameboy. Hopefully this is a bit better then Super Mario Bros:

You can either watch it now. Or wait for the High Definition to kick in. This is my last review until after Christmas. I hope you enjoy this. Yes I was once again i was nervous
Old 12-22-2008, 03:01 AM   #5
ARProductions2009

Default Games That Are Great #2: The BJ Shea Outer Space Experience

Another episode of Games That Are Great:

Games That Are Great #2:

Old 12-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
toasterhed

As far as your review, I found it a bit verbose. Your focus was more about how you felt about the game rather than examining the game mechanics, graphics, etc. You should work on toning down the language and focusing more on what the game elements are instead of giving away the ending/game and waiting until the end to actually give feedback about the game. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Just constructive criticism. You'll reach a far broader audience if you are more concise and less "wordy".

I love this game. Superstar (SNES) will always be the best. I wonder if they have a game for Wii? *goes to look*

Anyways, Kirby is awesome. I know it's very much a kid's game but I enjoy it.

That brings up an important question indeed, what IS Kirby?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasterhed View Post
I love this game. Superstar (SNES) will always be the best. I wonder if they have a game for Wii? *goes to look*
Not as of yet, unless you count Kirby 64 over on the Virtual Console. I think Kirby's Adventure for the NES is also up on there.

Twitter
Old 01-01-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
ARProductions2009

Default Game Review #3: Alcatraz (Super Mario Bros ROM Hack)

Game Review #3

Alcatraz (Super Mario Bros ROM Hack)

Watch it now or watch it in HD

Thanks for watching!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
chiefmonkey

1. The swearing. It feels so forced, it's a bit of a turnoff. Nothing wrong with swearing, but it has to be executed properly, or else you're just trying to do it to be funny.

2. "Kooper Troopers?" Really!?

3. The game doesn't look THAT hard actually. You're dying on some relatively easy shit. And your screaming rage when you die is harsh to listen to. I mean you're that mad that you simply ran into a fireline in Bowser's castle? Jesus, man, video games get a lot harder than that. Settle down.

Your videos wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the forced shouting into the mic.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
ARProductions2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Light Brown View Post
1. The swearing. It feels so forced, it's a bit of a turnoff. Nothing wrong with swearing, but it has to be executed properly, or else you're just trying to do it to be funny.

2. "Kooper Troopers?" Really!?

3. The game doesn't look THAT hard actually. You're dying on some relatively easy shit. And your screaming rage when you die is harsh to listen to. I mean you're that mad that you simply ran into a fireline in Bowser's castle? Jesus, man, video games get a lot harder than that. Settle down.

Your videos wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the forced shouting into the mic.
I admit I fucked up...sorry

Hopefully they will get better

I apologize for my last review for sucking so much ass. It was just a fuckin mess.

Hopefully the next one is better.

I also read comments that I was sounding like a ripoff of the AVGN and the Super Mario Bros Frustration Guy. Well I am not intending to do it, and if I did sound like it. I apologize.

For those of you who liked it. Thanks, I really don't like it, but thanks for watching it.

It's just tough doing this. I get really nervous.

Last edited by Reaper man; 01-02-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: double post
Closed Thread