Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 09-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
Gotgull

Default Snes Table Help

I know how to make a table file for use with a hex editor, but there is this problem for the snes I don't know where or how to find the hex addresses for the font in the snes rom image that I need to know in order to make my table file.

I have searched for documents, emulators, and graphic's utilities for the snes none that I have found show or display the hex value for tiles, nor do the emulators display vrom chr-rom or sprite data onscreen during emulation. I know there has to be some secret to find the hex addresses in snes roms, but none the documents I've looked at mention anything about simple snes table file creation.

Is there no simple way to make a basic table file that can edit text for a snes rom.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
InVerse

Relative Searching. I wrote a document called The Theory of Relative Searching that's linked in this forum somewhere and I think got added to the hacking documents section but I'm too lazy to look for it.

Edit: Fuck it. Apparently it wasn't added to the site and since my own site is down, it's probably not available online anymore. So I'm attaching it to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The Theory of Relative Searching v1.01.pdf (380.1 KB, 429 views)

Last edited by InVerse; 09-09-2011 at 04:29 AM.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:19 AM   #3
Gotgull

thank you, I just randomly glanced at it but that is a big help..

Edit: the game has 3 fonts that I know of 2 normal ones and a third strange one that is used for most the story of the game. The first two I am now able to find thanks to inverse and relative searching found the first one already, but my main problem is bigger than I thought it was in the beginning the third font table below "the image is a kind of large."

http://f.cl.ly/items/1O0N0A3w2y0c0d2...titledhack.JPG

I don't want to give away what game this is or would show more images but as you can see or perhaps not see in the image each letter of the font takes up two squares in the rom image, the font however is not compressed. I just don't know or rather don't understand how I can search for it and then to make a table file for it either.

I'm new to the concept of relative searching but I have a better understanding of it now. After looking over the attached document.

And that is not all I have a fourth problem that isn't related to text.

I do have an idea of how I can corrupt the 3rd font and may be able to find it that way, but as for making a table file I am still at a loss.

Edit 2: I can find most everything with relative searching but the fonts isn't the biggest hurdle I'd have to get past. Then I find out I got raped too, on being the first one to hack the game. I like to do games that haven't been hacked before so it kind of has been spoiled for me, already.. The important thing is that I learned something in the process. Thanks anyway. Best regards..

Last edited by Gotgull; 09-09-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Gotgull is offline   Reply With Quote