Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
classicgamer

Default Hacking Title Screens

I was wondering how to go about hacking the title screen to some games, to have a website I'm a staff member at instead of the name of the game.

For example, editing Zelda II, the open looks the same, but when Zelda II comes up, the name of the site comes up instead.

I would like several games done like this like

Final Fantasy III (US) VI (japan)
Zelda II
Startropics
Dragon Warrior IV

Any popular NES/SNES game that the name of the game doesn't come up right away.
classicgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
InVerse

I recommend the tutorial "Title Screen Hacking Made Easy".

It explains how to do exactly what you want. The author has hacked several title screens, both for himself and for other people's projects, and he has an admirably large penis.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
classicgamer

Let me be more specific,

For example the Zelda II opening, at the sword instead of Zelda II The Adventure of Link, I would the site I staff at name and then nothing else. I could stop video before the story comes up,

For Dragon Warrior IV, I'm not talking about the first screen, but the screen when it slowly spells out Dragon Warrior, I'd like it to spell out the site name. Then I cut stop video and nothing else be edited

I'm using tile editor too, to edit the tiles in the opening. I think for what I want done is ASM hacking.

I think this project to say is too much for my brain to comprehend.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
InVerse

Unless the graphics are compressed, there's no need for assembly modifications. All you need is a tile editor. The process described in that document is extremely simple. If you can't follow it, you're not cut out for ROM hacking.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:07 AM   #5
classicgamer

yeah the tiles are in such a way that are a real pain, I wish I could hire someone to do this. Someone else may can do a great job.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
InVerse

That document explains how to deal with the PITA order of the tiles in a simple manner.

I could do it for you but I charge $250/hr.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
chiefmonkey

I read the above text file in its entirety, and it gave me a boner. Good stuff.
chiefmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #8
HiddenPalm

I think its cool that it can be done. And I can see site administrators getting excited about this. But as a gamer, I would find it annoying for obvious reasons.

After awhile all sorts of people, from political groups to religious groups might try to get into this.

The whole quality experience of playing it the way you remember it from childhood is lowered here. Especially for those who don't know how to get roms. If you do offer them at your website, at least tell people its a special hacked version for the website.

Might I suggest hacking the ending, after the credits? ... Just suggestions, I dont mean to be picky as I know there are plenty of hacked roms out there. I just wanted to throw a concern on behalf of the gamer emu community.

Hack responsibly.
HiddenPalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:05 AM   #9
Gotgull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenPalm View Post
religious groups might try to get into this.
Too late, They already made countless bible related video games for that exact purpose. lol

As for the title screen hacking find an easier nes game that is devoid of compressed graphics, there are some especially for the nes that a 1st grader could alter with little or no help at all.

EDIT: I thought of the game for just such a hack

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the nes, when the game starts there is a huge amount of text displayed on the screen first before it gets to the title screen and I've seen a hack where a website was listed there before. all you need is a hex editor and a table file. Then fill it with whatever. Really you could write a short story in it that displays right when the game starts.

Last edited by Gotgull; 09-10-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Gotgull is offline   Reply With Quote