Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 10-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
shawn

Default It's closing tomorrow

Geo Cities is closing on the 26th of October. That may be midnight tonight. I just wanted to let anyone out there know if they have a webpage with stuff on it or know one they want something off of to save today is the day to do it since it will be to late after that.

Also if we have any links in the archive to software "I'm not sure if there is a way to search the database for link destinations" that it might be good to download the software and get in touch with the author later so we can post it again with a new final destination. Just a little foresight before it's to late.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
shawn

I just sent a nice email to yahoo explaining how I view their decisions, and here it is in full.

I also posted on the DIGG comment area they should ALL email yahoo feedback and let them know how stupid a decision they made. I bet if they got a few million emails they might actually fire the stupid idiots who thought this was a smart idea and give promotions to the ones that thought it was stupid.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I was just reading the article on how you guys killed geocities over at Digg.com. Whoever decided to get rid of it made a huge mistake.

You could have just deleted pages that had no content or visitors for months at a time or were just never maintained but instead you deleted the entire site.

You could have also place more advertising on each page but you didn't you just deleted the page.

Want to see what the internet users at Digg think then go there and check out the Digg comments and the comments on the actual story site from readers. The VAST majority are unhappy with another yahoo bad decision but we expect this from yahoo as of late.

You had so much potential but you first loaded up your homepage with so much stuff it took forever to load. Then you messed with the email systems "I am now lycos and google email exclusive and only use yahoo for signing up where I know I'll get spam in return.

You had google with a 1 second loading frontpage and you buried your's with garbage most people except a 16 year old girl would like "horoscopes pleassseee and on the front page". You're email instead of just using it for targeted spam was made so you could keep using pushy advertising to get us to upgrade. Funny though most people have an ISP email already and there are tons of free ones out there so that was not a good idea either, actually it was dumb.

Now you instead of improving, getting rid of the crap and keeping the working content, including more advertising in each page and not popups since everyone has a popup killer you at Yahoo have killed one of the best know part of the internet. Such a mistake but after seeing those dorky yodeling Yahoo commercials on TV I knew management had no clue at all about the average internet user and that if we were going to have a real site we would buy one of our own with a real domain not associated with Yahoo, Google, or anyone else. Yahoo pages are for fun and hobby and are there ONLY because they were free.

Maybe some of the executives over there at Yahoo ought to do a GOOGLE search for free web hosting. It's amazing how many sites there are to choose from. Good luck with the bankruptcy, you've worked tirelessly to achieve it and if you keep with your course I'll give you another 2 or 3 years and you'll be right up there with hotbot.com or all the other search sites that totally screwed up.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by shawn; 10-25-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
AkaneJones

Aol did that last October and killed their website, I say it's stupid. Hopefully if I need something from a Geocities website I have archived in my links, it's archived on Archive.org. Who puts robots.txt in their Geocities pages anyway. The down side is it never seemed to archive all the graphics, so it was a crap shoot if it had what you wanted. I wonder what thats crapping though. I had this link to some hilarious 4koma translation, some other scans of random manga scans(like pages from the Violinist of Hamlen manga). I does leave me wondering what link... but don't have that kind of time to dig through them. Blame me for not saving all the crap I can get when I find these sorts of things.
AkaneJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

So many cool thing are on Geocities cites. It's a sad time...
Old 10-26-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
The 9th Sage

Yeah...I mean, I can see why they'd close Geocities, but at the same time there are probably a lot of interesting things out there that are going to disappear.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:42 AM   #6
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Yeah...I mean, I can see why they'd close Geocities, but at the same time there are probably a lot of interesting things out there that are going to disappear.

On the Digg.com comment area for the article there is a group of people that have been archiving it for months now and he said they got a lot of it. I'm sure they skipped stuff like pron "there was probably a decent amount hidden on there", and just really bad and pointless sites that no one was sure what they were.

They said it was less than 10 terabytes of information total "10 large hard drives" and they were going to try to get it accessible like archive dot org for historical purposes since there was tons of MP3's and other stuff that people back in the day took hours to create and upload and share. I would like to see this made available.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:44 AM   #7
Maximum Potion

That would be awesome. I hope it all works out.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:53 AM   #8
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Potion View Post
So many cool thing are on Geocities cites. It's a sad time...
I used to find custom icon sets there and artwork people made before sites like Deviant Art were even known of. I sometime would come across MP3's also which back before filesharing was popular were sometimes hard to find unless you hung around IRC or uploaded 2 to 3 for every one you downloaded on some FTP site. Other times you'd end up finding some weird ass joke pages or some Windows 3.1 software someone posted. It had it's little gems for almost anyone at times.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:57 AM   #9
Maximum Potion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
I used to find custom icon sets there and artwork people made before sites like Deviant Art were even known of. I sometime would come across MP3's also which back before filesharing was popular were sometimes hard to find unless you hung around IRC or uploaded 2 to 3 for every one you downloaded on some FTP site. Other times you'd end up finding some weird ass joke pages or some Windows 3.1 software someone posted. It had it's little gems for almost anyone at times.
Yeah, I used to find all sorts of cool software on geocities when the internet (as we know it) was an infant.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:37 AM   #10
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Geo Cities is closing on the 26th of October.
Maybe I've been wrong all this time, but perhaps there is a god, after all....