Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 01-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
izclutch

Default New to romhacking and I need a little help

Hey I am still new to romhacking and this site. I just need help with a few things.I have already got down the basics of how hexadecimals works and all but these are the few things Im having problem with. I decided to try translating text first and these are the only problems i am having

1 table file: I dont understand how to make a table file.
2 How to find the beginning of the text

Im also using hex workshop should i stay using this or change to windhex or others

please help
izclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

There are many ways to make a table file. One of the ways is to use what is called a relative search for common words that appear in the game's main text. The search will find any possibilities based on the byte values in your rom. If you're lucky, you will find several instances of this word, and by scrolling through them, you will find large portions of text in the right section of your hex editor. You will be prompted to make a table file based on these results, and then the editor will display the text for you. This will also help you with question two.

As for the hex editor, I have never tried hex workshop, but I know that it is a popular one. Try them both out and stick with whichever you feel more comfortable.
Maximum Potion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
InVerse

I'm not sure why you'd want to search for common words with relative search, that would make it far more difficult than if you were to search for an uncommon word that appears early in the text. This document should help you understand Relative Searching and here are the table making documents. The second one on the list is probably the most useful.

Hex Workshop doesn't allow you to use standard ROM hacking tables. It has something similar but it requires you to input each table value into it's custom editor individually and is generally a pain in the ass. It also doesn't offer any of the ROM hacking specific features (such as relative searching or script dumping) that WindHex does. WindHex is rather ugly compared to Hex Workshop but functionality is clearly more important in a hex editor.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Hacker View Post
I'm not sure why you'd want to search for common words with relative search...
I meant like words that appear two or three times in the game, or in different areas (like in battle, menus, or in dialogue) in order to find the different areas where the text is stored, and not hyper common words like 'and' or 'to'.
Maximum Potion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
Gil-Galad

I usually use emulators that have tile viewers to figure out the order and tile numbers. If you don't have a viewer, then I replace the font to an English one and then search for letters that way. I use these methods to make a table file. In emulators that have debuggers, I can use advanced search methods.
Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:33 AM   #6
izclutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
I usually use emulators that have tile viewers to figure out the order and tile numbers. If you don't have a viewer, then I replace the font to an English one and then search for letters that way. I use these methods to make a table file. In emulators that have debuggers, I can use advanced search methods.
Alrite i understand what you mean but how exactly do you replace the font to english.

Like say i am trying to translate a japanese game how do i change the japanese font to english?
izclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
InVerse

You open the ROM in a graphics editor (I am fond of Tile Molester but other people like Tile Layer Pro, YY-CHR or one of the other dozen or so tile editors available) and you draw (or cut & paste) English characters over the Japanese characters. (That's assuming the ROM you're wanting to hack doesn't already have an English font, which many of them do.)

Last edited by InVerse; 01-04-2010 at 09:59 PM.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by izclutch View Post
Alrite i understand what you mean but how exactly do you replace the font to english.

Like say i am trying to translate a japanese game how do i change the japanese font to english?
It would also help to mention what game you're working on and what console system it's for.
Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote