Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 04:31 AM   #11
pipes
Senior Member
 
pipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,883
Default Re: Quitting smoking.

Have fun! I am. I still can't get off the gum totaly. My nic intake has dropped ALOT. Its fucked with me major! Its hard to think, so damn nervous all the time, and a bunch of other shit that sucks. Now is where its easy but when your body starts to heal. Thats when it sucks balls. Just hang on and enjoy a big ride of hell! I think to my self that its keeping me from death, yet I want to kill myself at the same time. It is for the best. I think my shit is starting to settle down where I can start to do things normaly again, but it has taken months!
<P ID="signature">The pipes clangor all the time!</P>
__________________
The pipes never clangor.
pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:46 PM   #12
JadussD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,100
Default Not too bad...

> Well, I'm doing it, and I have to say, I'd rather be set on
> fire now than continue not having a cigarette, but
> dammit...must resist...temptation...argh.

..2nd day and I'm really surprised, but I don't have an extreme urge to smoke. It pops into my mind but it's just as soon gone. Perhaps I wasn't nearly as addicted to nicotine as I thought I was. If any of you smoke and want to quit, just give it a try even if you think it'd be impossible. I don't even feel that horrible...
<P ID="signature"></P>
JadussD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #13
Arbitraitor
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2
Default Re: Quitting smoking.

Smoking is cool. Maybe you don't agree, and that's fine -- but let's just take a look at the matter at hand, here.

1) Smoking gives the smoker additional time to formulate his or her sentences. A smoker, when their mind briefly fails, does not need to hem and haw, or engage in excessive "umm"ing. Instead, they merely have to take a slow drag on their cigarette, exhaling that lovely pale blue smoke before continuing the conversation, their resources replenished by their brief period of contemplation.

2) Smoking also gives any conversationalist the equivalent of a laser pointer. A cigarette can be used to enhance gesticulations, point to examples or direct an orchestra on the fly.

3) Smoking, due to the sheer amount of lobbying against it, is counter-societal. When you're young, is there anything cooler than saying, "Fuck the man!" by slowly killing yourself? Well, maybe there is. Still, we should take a quick look to Hollywood, and one of their more attractive heroes: The guy who may as well already be dead and therefore doesn't care about the consequences of his actions and is able to move with perfect freedom for the remainder of what will likely be a tragically short life. This character is the compelling lead in countless action movies, as well as being used to more dramatic effect on occasion. This guy, or girl, smokes more often than not, or at least has some sort of lethal habit -- drinking and drugs are common. The inclination towards self-destruction is powerful material.

4) Smoking allows even the laziest of people to apply some sort of style to their lives: everybody smokes differently, and the cultivation of personal technique occurs throughout all of the years for which they smoke. Some people have eerily hypnotic ways of both inhaling and exhaling, as well as actually holding the cigarette.

5) Ultimately, smoking sends the message -- whether subliminal or conscious -- that the smoker is aware of and unafraid of mortality, which is a powerful attraction for people in an age in which neuroses ride free upon the shoulders of nearly everybody that you meet, most of which stem from the unavoidability of death. This isn't valid, of course, as most smokers, particularly young ones, aren't truly aware that what they're doing will kill them. This does not stop the image from being projected, however.

6) Forbidden fruit: From the Garden of Eden to the present day, rebels all the way. Most people who pick such fruit are cool. Why? Because it takes a cool person to thwart authority. Take a look at Prometheus.

This is just my theory on why smoking is so widely considered to be cool that organisations spend money in an attempt to de-program this perception. How else to explain all of the PSAs with the same theme: Cool kid talks about how cool he is and is cool while lame kids talk about how cool they are but are lame. The cool kid doesn't smoke and the lame kids do. This is such a basic attempt at propoganda that it doesn't have to be addressed in detail.
<P ID="signature">Public Notice No. 78 of 1955 M.P.1865/11 </P>
Arbitraitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:43 PM   #14
JadussD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,100
Default Re: Quitting smoking.

> Smoking is cool. Maybe you don't agree, and that's fine --
> but let's just take a look at the matter at hand, here.

Okay, this whole post is seriously the funniest post in the history of EARTH. I must tip my hat to you, George (if my suspcions, confirmed by a tracert, are correct). Although you could just be another Chicago-area-dweller with SBCGlobal, I doubt it.

> 1) Smoking gives the smoker additional time to formulate his
> or her sentences. A smoker, when their mind briefly fails,
> does not need to hem and haw, or engage in excessive
> "umm"ing. Instead, they merely have to take a slow drag on
> their cigarette, exhaling that lovely pale blue smoke before
> continuing the conversation, their resources replenished by
> their brief period of contemplation.

Yep, part of the bullshit mystique of smoking. Make yourself look cool by being able to blow out a cloud of smoke which is killing you. When someone would ask me a question, I would blow out several damn near perfect smoke rings, and then answer them. Many humans, unable to contemplate the totality of a given situation, don't consider those who inhale smoke which kills them to be morons, so they think this looks awesome.

> 2) Smoking also gives any conversationalist the equivalent
> of a laser pointer. A cigarette can be used to enhance
> gesticulations, point to examples or direct an orchestra on
> the fly.

I doubt that any smoker is good enough to play the role of a conducter who blows out smoke which takes the shape of a conductor directing an orchestra, but that would indeed look awesome if it were possible.

> 3) Smoking, due to the sheer amount of lobbying against it,
> is counter-societal. When you're young, is there anything
> cooler than saying, "Fuck the man!" by slowly killing
> yourself? Well, maybe there is. Still, we should take a
> quick look to Hollywood, and one of their more attractive
> heroes: The guy who may as well already be dead and
> therefore doesn't care about the consequences of his actions
> and is able to move with perfect freedom for the remainder
> of what will likely be a tragically short life.

That was a good node on Everything2. One of a few that sticks in my mind. I don't know if that's the original source, or if someone else wrote about it.

> This
> character is the compelling lead in countless action movies,
> as well as being used to more dramatic effect on occasion.
> This guy, or girl, smokes more often than not, or at least
> has some sort of lethal habit -- drinking and drugs are
> common. The inclination towards self-destruction is powerful
> material.

I will be honest, self-destruction is something I've engaged in for much of my life. I do not care for society that much, and have engaged in anti-social and destructive behavior, but I don't see any reason to welcome an early death anymore, at this point, I'd rather take what I can get, and if what I can get includes not dying early, so be it.

> 4) Smoking allows even the laziest of people to apply some
> sort of style to their lives: everybody smokes differently,
> and the cultivation of personal technique occurs throughout
> all of the years for which they smoke. Some people have
> eerily hypnotic ways of both inhaling and exhaling, as well
> as actually holding the cigarette.

Yep, and like you obviously realize, it's just a bullshit trick. Smoking just plain kills you. It's the overarching aspect of smoking that anyone who smokes must deny to themselves or want, if they are to continue.

> 5) Ultimately, smoking sends the message -- whether
> subliminal or conscious -- that the smoker is aware of and
> unafraid of mortality, which is a powerful attraction for
> people in an age in which neuroses ride free upon the
> shoulders of nearly everybody that you meet, most of which
> stem from the unavoidability of death.

Un-fucking-believable amount of wisdom in those words...

> This isn't valid, of
> course, as most smokers, particularly young ones, aren't
> truly aware that what they're doing will kill them. This
> does not stop the image from being projected, however.

...and these too.

> 6) Forbidden fruit: From the Garden of Eden to the present
> day, rebels all the way. Most people who pick such fruit are
> cool. Why? Because it takes a cool person to thwart
> authority. Take a look at Prometheus.

That's all well and good, but in my quite possibly arrogant view, Prometheus is just like Jesus, "sacrificiing" himself for the "good" of man. If man can't discover something as "simple" as fire on his own, he damn well doesn't deserve fire. That's why Prometheus was chained to a rock for years by the more established gods for years and years and had his liver eaten out by a bird.

> This is just my theory on why smoking is so widely
> considered to be cool that organisations spend money in an
> attempt to de-program this perception. How else to explain
> all of the PSAs with the same theme: Cool kid talks about
> how cool he is and is cool while lame kids talk about how
> cool they are but are lame. The cool kid doesn't smoke and
> the lame kids do. This is such a basic attempt at propoganda
> that it doesn't have to be addressed in detail.

Both sides of the propaganda are bullshit. The truth has nothing to do with coolness and everything to do with mortality and man's way of coping with it (denial, denial, denial).

That was a very good post.
<P ID="signature"></P>
JadussD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:16 PM   #15
Stonerfuck
Regular Member
 
Stonerfuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Marshall, Texas
Posts: 36
Default Re: Quitting smoking.

> Well, I'm doing it, and I have to say, I'd rather be set on
> fire now than continue not having a cigarette, but
> dammit...must resist...temptation...argh.
>

I had a religious experience recently and haven't smoked one since.

I smoked a pack a day since I was 14 and my mom would buy them for me. Amazing the effect religion can have on the psyche.
<P ID="signature"></P>
Stonerfuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:38 PM   #16
Isildur
Senior Member
 
Isildur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,340
Default Re: Quitting smoking.

> I had a religious experience recently and haven't smoked one
> since.
>

It's truly inspiring that religion has led you to renounce the inhalation of the soot of burning plant fiber as a means of getting pleasure.

...Oh wait. <img src=smilies/cwm27.gif>

> I smoked a pack a day since I was 14 and my mom would buy them for me.

What the...
<img src=smilies/eek13.gif>
<P ID="signature"><center>
<a href=http://1001insomniacnights.com><img src=http://pages.nyu.edu/~jc73/misc/1k1IN.gif border=0>
1k1IN:</a><font color=#903030> A Dark Comedy About 2 Roomates</font></center></P>
__________________
Holding out for Hostess Snack Cakes...
Isildur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:45 PM   #17
JadussD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,100
Default Re: Quitting smoking.

> > I smoked a pack a day since I was 14 and my mom would buy
> them for me.
>
> What the...
>

It's not that uncommon, when I was in 7th grade a girl I had a crush on a girl whose dad would buy her cigarettes.

EDIT: Jesus christ the uneditted text that was here before was really bad...
<P ID="signature"></P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by JadussD on 12/20/05 08:34 PM.</FONT></P>
JadussD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:31 PM   #18
phonymike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 278
Default smoking is cool

http://www.dumpalink.com/media/11165...he_Smoking_Ape

that's one cool ape!
<P ID="signature">immortality</P>
phonymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:38 AM   #19
Isildur
Senior Member
 
Isildur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,340
Default Re: Quitting smoking.

> It's not that uncommon, when I was in 7th grade a girl I had
> a crush on a girl whose dad would buy her cigarettes.
>
> EDIT: Jesus christ the uneditted text that was here before
> was really bad...
>

So... you're saying the grammar was even weirder than it is now?
<P ID="signature"><center>
<a href=http://1001insomniacnights.com><img src=http://pages.nyu.edu/~jc73/misc/1k1IN.gif border=0>
1k1IN:</a><font color=#903030> A Dark Comedy About 2 Roomates</font></center></P>
__________________
Holding out for Hostess Snack Cakes...
Isildur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:13 PM   #20
JadussD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,100
Default Re: smoking is cool

> http://www.dumpalink.com/media/11165...he_Smoking_Ape
>
> that's one cool ape!
>

Oh great. Us humans, we done taught gorillas to smoke now.

Wow.
<P ID="signature"></P>
JadussD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:09 PM.

Contact Us - Zophar's Domain - Archive - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.