Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 08-11-2004, 07:28 AM   #1
mrfreeze

Default Any nes emulators...

That both have the frameskip/speed up option, and will run Sweet Home? I can't find this option in FCEUltra (which I have been using for a couple years now so haven't kept up with the other emulators) and want to finally get around to beating this game.

<P ID="signature"><image src=http://imageshack.us/files/donsig2.gif></P>
mrfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
Turtle

Default Re: Any nes emulators...

> That both have the frameskip/speed up option, and will run
> Sweet Home? I can't find this option in FCEUltra (which I
> have been using for a couple years now so haven't kept up
> with the other emulators) and want to finally get around to
> beating this game.

Well, FCE Ultra has a zSNES-like Fast Forward button (~) but I don't seem to see any way of setting a permanent frameskip. I would have assumed it had that feature but I guess I've never used it on a computer so shitty that I needed it. VirtuaNES seems to run the game just fine and has a frameskip feature.

One important thing to note is that it was recently discovered that Sweet Home seems to be among the few dozen games incorrectly labeled by Good NES. It looks like the [b1] dump is actually the good dump and the version labeled as good by Cowering is, in fact, bad. If you load up the 3 unpatched versions of Sweet Home in an emulator, you'll notice that in the "good" dump and the "[b2]" dump, as soon as you gain control of the character, it will disappear within a few steps of the starting point, rendering the game unplayable. This doesn't happen in the "[b1]" dump. Also, when you do a file compare, there are several differences between the "good" dump and the "[b1]" dump as well as between the "[b1]" and "[b2]" dumps but very little different between the "good" and "[b2]" dumps. All of this leads me to believe that the "[b1]" dump is, in fact, the good dump, if there is actually a good dump of Sweet Home.

Now when you patch any of the ROMs with Gaijin Translation's v1.00 translation patch, it (inadvertently, I believe) fixes the disappearing character bug. However, no testing has been done to make sure that no bugs crop up later in the game, so I would strongly recommend that you patch the "[b1]" dump in case there are major bugs. (I said inadvertently in regards to the first bug being fixed because I was talking to Musashi (the hacker) about Sweet Home quite heavily when he was working on it and I don't recall him ever mentioning the bug, which leads me to believe that he was working on what's currently labeled as the "[b1]" dump (this translation was finished before Good NES existed) and that something in his translation patch simply changes whatever corrupt bytes were causing that initial crash.)

So, going back to your original question, VirtuaNES should probably fit your needs. And I originally beat Sweet Home using Nesticle on a 486SX/33, so if you're on a truly horrible computer, you still have that option.

<P ID="signature"></P>
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:16 AM   #3
mrfreeze

Default Re: Any nes emulators...

Thanks, a speed up button was actually what I was looking for, but didn't see it when I was using FCEUltra before so guess I don't need to change. And I just read about the issue with the rom a few days ago, but since I am playing the translation im set either way ^^

<P ID="signature"><image src=http://imageshack.us/files/donsig2.gif></P>
mrfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote