Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 08-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
InVerse

I was in diagonistics (that's the prison they put you in while they're figuring out your basic information and which prison you're supposed to be in) with a guy who walked in on his wife screwing some guy. He snapped and killed them both. The lawyers informed him that if he'd only killed his wife, it would have been considered a crime of passion and he would have only received a ten year sentence, but since he killed both of them, he ended up with a life sentence. He said if he had known that, he wouldn't have killed the guy. "I didn't even know who he was, I just thought if I killed her, I was supposed to kill him too."

And completely off topic... The guy was constantly being harassed by Christian "missionaries" while in the county jail. They kept urging him to repent for his crime so he could go to heaven. He asked them if that meant his wife was in hell since she was committing a sin when she died. They hedged and said they couldn't know that for sure, to which he responded "Well, then forget it. I don't want to go to heaven if that fucking bitch might be there."
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
shadowdorothy

... why where you in the county jail InVerse? car jacking right? lol.

and yeah. it's pretty stupid, seriously that kid'll get out in like 3 for good behavior. I honestly think if they used murders to stop corporate big wigs from being idiots the world would be a nicer place.

then again I think we should be putting murderers in the front lines of war. who gives a shit if they get shot. NO ONE! that who.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:14 AM   #13
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdorothy View Post
... why where you in the county jail InVerse? car jacking right? lol.
You got one of the two words right.

And good behavior is a myth these days. If you're well behaved and they believe they can let you out without fear of you getting in trouble and coming back, they'll actually keep you around longer. They make more money with you in prison than they do when you're out and they make the most when you come in, so if you come in 2 or 3 times during the course of your sentence, they make 2 to 3 times as much money.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:05 AM   #14
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdorothy View Post
then again I think we should be putting murderers in the front lines of war. who gives a shit if they get shot. NO ONE! that who.
I love this idea. We wouldn't have to pay combat pay and who the hell would want to go to war with us. I mean have you seen some of the fucked up gangmembers they put in jail nowadays. Hell if I was in another countries army and I saw a bunch of these nutjobs with guns legally having the time of their lives shooting whatever moved in front of them I would be running in the other direction as fast as possible.

Great idea.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #15
InVerse

And I'm sure all of these "nutjobs" would be happy to fight in a war. Because, you know, a majority of murders do it purely for fun.

Then again, I am the one who got kicked out of bootcamp for saying that if I disagreed with the U.S.'s stance during a war, I'd have no problem fighting for the other side.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:04 AM   #16
shadowdorothy

depends for me. I don't give a shit who I fight for as long as it's for a good cause? inserting myself into another countries civil war? no thank you. fighting to keep a bunch of women and kids safe? hell yeah, give me a god damn suit and a gun already.

however that's the exact same sitch. the U.S. has inserted itself in one war that we cannot win. just like nam, we couldn't win their civil was for 'em they had to do it for themselves
Old 08-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #17
toasterhed

I know this post is a bit old but I just wanted to give my two cents. Honestly, he knew better than to sell them. It's one thing to mod your on XBox to play homebrew games or copies of games you own and a totally different one to sell them.

BUT, here is the thing that gets me. Was he actually selling the games? Because if he only modded the XBox then there is no violation of law as far as I know. Or did they pass that law about over-riding the copyright protection being illegal?? (Which is also bullshit, you have a right to maintain backups of your data, I'm waiting for the day that explodes in their face. Most humans on earth who own CDs have made a copy of them.)

But then again, we have a right to back up our games or to develop our own shit for consoles if we want to void the warranty. Do we not? I don't know about you but as far as that goes if I buy something nobody is damn sure gonna tell me what to do with it. And as long as I'm not selling anything of theirs to anyone and I OWN this stuff, then I fail to see the problem. However, I wouldn't sell the things is the bottom line. Especially after reading over DMCA a bit. Though I am going to have to read up on it more now.

Sorry but that's bull. People have tried to sue people for selling used software at garage sales and crap. WTF? What's next, if I think about playing the video game in my head and then think about what it's like to alter the graphics then I have to pay for copyright infringement?

Someone please help me understand this. If he wasn't selling pirated games, then why not? For all they know he was using them to back up the user(s) games. But then again maybe he talked to the cops... a statement would screw him.

That is why my attorney says "don't talk to cops". Seriously, don't do it. Your better to just wait it out honestly.

I think Immigration and Customs Enforcement being involved perhaps means that he was selling them overseas?

Anyone care to elaborate cause I think this is a great topic, I'm just a bit lost.

UPDATE - so circumvention of copy-prevention systems is considered to be against the DMCA but, there is also a provision that allows people whom are repairing computers can make temporary copies of the software. What about people who repair consoles? What about people whom are only backing up their data (let's say old NES carts for starters) and they own the console and the carts and they do the backup themselves? This is most complex.

Too bad, I'm not a lawyer.

Last edited by toasterhed; 08-24-2009 at 04:29 PM.
toasterhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #18
The 9th Sage

Yeah....I mean, he knew what he was doing, but the DMCA is too far reaching in my opinion. More than likely all of us have done something at one point that would violate it, and I doubt anyone here are hardcore criminals or something. I mean, heck, technically decrypting a DVD violates it, and who here hasn't done that at least once?

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #19
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
I doubt anyone here are hardcore criminals or something.
Except me.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Yeah....I mean, he knew what he was doing, but the DMCA is too far reaching in my opinion. More than likely all of us have done something at one point that would violate it, and I doubt anyone here are hardcore criminals or something. I mean, heck, technically decrypting a DVD violates it, and who here hasn't done that at least once?

Hell even some freeware if you read the license text file says not to copy or distribute. Mostly so someone won't add it to a CD and charge or so they can have ad views on their website for anyone downloading. I've copied and given out copies anyways though, especially when they discontinue the free version and start charging when the program becomes popular.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote