Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 08-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
Minunlike

Default Dragon Warrior 4 utilities

If these sorts of questions are not allowed, please delete this thread. Otherwise, I am in search of some utilities in order to hack Dragon Warrior 4 for the NES. I currently require a map editor, a text editor, and both an overworld and monster sprite editor if any of these are available.
Minunlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
InVerse

All that exists are text hacking utilities, which you can get over at ROM Hacking dot Net.

There are no map editors or graphics editors for Dragon Warrior 4. Data Crystal has no information about Dragon Warrior 4, either.

Glancing at the ROM in Tile Molester, it looks like some of the overworld/underworld/town graphics are uncompressed but I didn't see anything resembling enemy graphics, so changes are that they're compressed. Apparently the text of the game is compressed (according to the description of the text editor) so it's quite possible that enemy graphics and possibly map data are as well.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Kilyle

Question Help with editor?

This thread is more than a year old, but it's short and my concerns seem to fit exactly with the topic, so here goes:

I got Bongo's DW4text thing and noticed that I had another copy in my tools folder... guess I got it way back when and didn't have much success with it, so I'm asking for help understanding what the heck it's doing.

Here's what I get by following directions:

1. Load up the DWIV ROM and click on "Decompress all text data BLOCKS to files".

This appears to work all right... I assume, as I know nothing of the file formats. My computer thinks they're Nero ShowTime Files. Trying to look at them with a text editor gives me nothing useful, but then I expected that.

2. Click on "Dump data BLOCK to a text file".

First problem. It asks for a table file. The help file says text file, so I assume it's okay to just use a regular txt file. It won't create its own, so I create a blank one. (I get an Access violation for trying to have it make one.)

Using this blank one seems to work... but then it asks for an Info file. Since it spat out several files with similar filenames to what it's asking for, I give it one of them. It comes back with "Error: Could not open DATA File for compressing." Trying to make a text file with the tbl ending doesn't change this error.

Somehow or other - I can't get to this step because I can't get past that error up there - I last time managed to get a dump of some sort. But it doesn't look like text. It looks like this:

Code:
// String: 0
.TEXT
[$3D][$19][$1F][$6B][$1C] etc.
.ENDT
...aaaand that's about where I am. The help file doesn't explain much.

Are these hex values? I thought the point was to get out of hex and into text. Did I misunderstand the exercise? Should I approach this like a HEX file and try using WindHex on it, relative searching or something? I'm very confused right now.

So if you could help me figure out which steps to take, just to start out, I'd appreciate it.

Related: Some thread I just ran across gave a description of a very interesting document that I'd love to read... only it appears to have vanished off the face of the planet. Anyone have a copy of what used to be at http://www.romhacking.net/docs/dwbytes.txt ?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
InVerse

I don't have time to actually look at Bongo`s programs at the moment, so I'll throw out a couple of quick things until I can look more into it.

1) What OS are you using? If it's Vista or 7, there's a chance that you need administrator privileges or some such. I haven't really used either OS but I know all of Bongo`s tools were coded in XP or earlier, so they may or may not be compatible with newer versions of Windows. (As a general rule, Bongo`s stuff tends to function as advertised but be ugly as hell.)

2) Yes, those are hex values. You need a proper table file to tell it what hex value = what ASCII character if you want it to dump the actual text.

3) You can find Dragon Warrior Bytes right here but it's only for the original Dragon Warrior, as far as I know. The file is right where you linked to it, however RHDN doesn't allow direct links to files, thus the 404.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 AM   #5
Kilyle

Thumbs up Okay...

I use Windows XP Professional 64-bit. We're thinking of switching to Win7 though. Also, I'm on an admin account, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the info on the file I needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
2) Yes, those are hex values. You need a proper table file to tell it what hex value = what ASCII character if you want it to dump the actual text.
Okay... so, if I can't find the text to begin with because it's so compressed that I need a utility to locate and uncompress it, how do I go about figuring out a working table file? And for that matter, how does the program locate the text without having some sort of internal table file for doing so?

Actually, though, I think I'm going to use some of the tables I've been trying for the hex editor (such as the one that shows "nes" at the start of the file and "dragon warrior iv" at the end (or was it "dragon quest iv"?)) and see if they work. Now that I know what the table is supposed to be doing (which I should have understood, but didn't), it should be easier.

Guess it's time to get back to work

Last edited by Kilyle; 10-13-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Kilyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
InVerse

Well, I've managed to figure out that the table you need to use is one you create with the program itself by clicking Build New Huffman BIT Table within the Project menu.

However, once I load that, it asks for which info text to use. The info texts are stored with the Comp_# folders created when you Decompress All Text Blocks To Files. But no matter which info text I select, it errors out with 'Could not open DATA file for compressing.'

At this point, I'm at a loss. So I did the only thing I could think of... I emailed Bongo` to see if he'd be willing to swing by the board and offer some help. I haven't talked to him in a little over a year, so no telling if he'll respond, but that's all I can offer at this point.

For the record, the NES you see at the beginning of the ROM is just part of the ROM header and appears in *all* NES ROMs. It's unrelated to the text within the game. Not sure about the DRAGON QUEST IV bit, that's not standard but still isn't likely to be connected to the game text, as it's just standard ASCII.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #7
Bongo`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilyle View Post
I use Windows XP Professional 64-bit. We're thinking of switching to Win7 though. Also, I'm on an admin account, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the info on the file I needed.

Okay... so, if I can't find the text to begin with because it's so compressed that I need a utility to locate and uncompress it, how do I go about figuring out a working table file? And for that matter, how does the program locate the text without having some sort of internal table file for doing so?

Actually, though, I think I'm going to use some of the tables I've been trying for the hex editor (such as the one that shows "nes" at the start of the file and "dragon warrior iv" at the end (or was it "dragon quest iv"?)) and see if they work. Now that I know what the table is supposed to be doing (which I should have understood, but didn't), it should be easier.

Guess it's time to get back to work
How's it going, bro. I see you are having a bit of trouble using the utility.
Ok. It's a bit tricky to use at times. Here is what you need to do...

1) Make sure you have a US version of the game.
2) Load the ROM in the util.
3) Click 'Decompress blah blah blah'. :]

You should have like 8 folders with a buch of files.

Make sure each folder has a 'DW4_Info_x.txt' file with actual text, offsets, etc...

NOTE, your directory structure cannot contain any spaces in it's name..
EX 'c:\romhack\Dw4Edit\' will work
EX 'c:\romhack folder\Dw4Edit\' will NOT work.

This part is important. Just follow everything else in the RTF file within the ZIP file. if there is NOT a 'dw4.tbl' included let me know and I will email it to you. In fact I also have the 'Items' and 'Menu' utilities as well.
Bongo` is offline   Reply With Quote