Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
Kilyle

Question Dragon Warrior IV Font and Text Problems

I swear I'm either too lazy or too easily distracted to ever get skillz in hacking, but here I am again, trying it out.

So I've been toying with the Dragon Warrior IV ROM. Trying to at least find the text (fail, except for chapter titles). Then I moved to trying to find the font, and I did... except that it's weird.

I think I ran across this sort of thing before, in one of my very old threads here, but the solution from that conversation (1bpp linear in Tile Molester) doesn't work. None of the settings on Tile Molester seem to work, with or without the Row-interleaved setting.

In the attached png file you'll see what I'm getting. With interleaved rows, some of the font works fine - seems like every other character (13579 bdfhjlnprtvxz BDFHJLNPRTVXZ). The rest is garbled worse than when I didn't interleave the rows.

So my questions are these:

1. What the heck am I supposed to do about this font?

2. Given this style of font compression (or whatever), is finding the text going to follow the same procedure as usual (so I just haven't looked hard enough), or is it something weird I have to locate in a different fashion?

In case it helps the diagnosis, here's some of the first text you can get from a random castle guard:

Quote:
'Hey,Ragnar,still
here?'

'Haven't the others
already left for
Izmit Village?'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AGC_DW4_font.PNG
Views:	195
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	174  

Last edited by Kilyle; 10-12-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Clarity
Kilyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
InVerse

1). Are you sure that you're using a good dump of the ROM? If not, use the No-Intro database to be sure. For several years, the dump of Dragon Warrior IV that was floating around the 'net was actually a bad dump in which the cartridge had inadvertently been dumped twice, resulting in a ROM that was double the size of what it should have been.

2). Looking at your image, I would assume you have something funky set as the block size, resulting in the font appearing out of order. If you load a good ROM in Tile Molester, change the codec to 1bpp linear and then go to (Ctrl+G) 6384D, the font should look just fine, as shown in the attached image.

3). As for the text, I'm not in the mood to look into it right now but are you aware that there are a couple of utilities specifically designed to extract/insert text into Dragon Warrior IV? Go to RHDN and search for Dragon Warrior IV in the utilities section and you'll find two programs, one of the main text and one for items and such.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dwiv-mainfont.png
Views:	176
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	175  
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:34 AM   #3
Kilyle

Default Intriguing

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
2). Looking at your image, I would assume you have something funky set as the block size, resulting in the font appearing out of order. If you load a good ROM in Tile Molester, change the codec to 1bpp linear and then go to (Ctrl+G) 6384D, the font should look just fine, as shown in the attached image.
And it did that just fine. Now I'm confused why I got that error in the first place. I get the same error if I just scroll down, but once I use your method to find the right spot, scrolling up and down doesn't make them un-aligned again. Huh.

Quote:
1). Are you sure that you're using a good dump of the ROM? If not, use the No-Intro database to be sure. For several years, the dump of Dragon Warrior IV that was floating around the 'net was actually a bad dump in which the cartridge had inadvertently been dumped twice, resulting in a ROM that was double the size of what it should have been.
I'm not certain. I went to No-Intro and it says that DWIV should have a size of 524288. I checked my ROM and it says 524,304 bytes (528,384 on disc). That's clearly not twice as large, but then again it's not the right size either. I downloaded it again (from Emuparadise) and got the same stats.

So... if this is a problem, is there a utility that'll fix it? Or...?

(As far as the utilities, I've addressed them on a separate thread.)
Old 10-13-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilyle View Post
And it did that just fine. Now I'm confused why I got that error in the first place. I get the same error if I just scroll down, but once I use your method to find the right spot, scrolling up and down doesn't make them un-aligned again. Huh.
Based on your screenshot, I'm almost positive that you tried changing the block size, which would explain why it looked the way it did. I think I used +/- to align everything perfectly but that's the only thing I did besides changing the bpp.

Quote:
I'm not certain. I went to No-Intro and it says that DWIV should have a size of 524288. I checked my ROM and it says 524,304 bytes (528,384 on disc). That's clearly not twice as large, but then again it's not the right size either. I downloaded it again (from Emuparadise) and got the same stats.

So... if this is a problem, is there a utility that'll fix it? Or...?
There's not a utility that will fix it but you can use the No-Intro dat in combination with clrmamepro or ROMCenter to verify if your ROM is good or not.

But my copy of Dragon Warrior IV is the exact same size you listed for yours and mine was verified through the dat, so that's probably not an issue.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:05 AM   #5
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilyle View Post
Just as a heads up, the no intro is for the headerless version of the rom while the rom you have is headered, thus the 16 byte discrepancy.