Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
goodiegood

Question NES Netplay options? What are the best options?

Me and a friend (who lives miles away, but in the same country) would like to netplay a couple of NES games, but we are running out of options now. We've tried to use Kaillera which seems to be crap since there are no servers in our country + the ping on the servers there is quite bad. We both have a 6mb line, so that shouldn't be the issue, I guess. What other options do we have since Kaillera doesn't seem to work properly for us? I could've tried to setup my own Kaillera server, but I don't have any experience on that nor do I own a shell account... We did try to play on a Kaillera server where I had 80ms ping and he had 160ms... it was just way to annoying.

So, what other options does me and my friend have when it comes to play NES games over the net? If people are suggesting to setup a Hamachi-setup, then please help me. I've got NO clue how to setup a Hamachi to a NES netplay...

Also, which NES emulator is the most suited emulator for NES netplay? For now we've been using FCEUltra, Nesticle and recently JNes. We are both using Windows XP.

ANY help & suggstions would've been greatly appriciated!
goodiegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
MyaMyaMya

What are the round-trip times like when you ping your friend's IP address from your system?
MyaMyaMya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Lenophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodiegood View Post
Also, which NES emulator is the most suited emulator for NES netplay? For now we've been using FCEUltra,
Old.

Quote:
Nesticle

Quote:
and recently JNes.
Unfamiliar with this one.

Quote:
We are both using Windows XP.
If you're using XP, then I suspect your machines are at least good enough to run some of the newer ones. I suggest Nestopia, though I have not tried it's multiplayer, so I cannot account for how good or bad it is. Hope it helps.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
BIrvine

Nestopia is probably the best choice, it has the most overall compatibility, and its very easy to setup netplay (but uses kaillera). Kaillera is the most universal method. I haven't used Hamachi, but that may be the best way to go. What country are you in? Usually theres severals on K around the world...
Old 01-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
Krono

If you're still interested, you could try VirtuaNES. It's one of the emulators supported by CGA (Classic Gaming Arena) that has nice connection stability. Rarely desynchs... and that's saying alot from someone that's still on dialup.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
Saent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
If you're still interested, you could try VirtuaNES. It's one of the emulators supported by CGA (Classic Gaming Arena) that has nice connection stability. Rarely desynchs... and that's saying alot from someone that's still on dialup.
I can vouch for this. A friend of mine and I started using it and it really does work great. And I'm still on dial-up too.

Just remember to set the frame buffer to like 5-6 and you should be okay.

Facebook
Last.FM
My website
Saent is offline   Reply With Quote