Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 05-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
shawn

Default Fucked up police thinking

Ever since 911 it seems like the police from not just the US but other supposedly free nations "US, Canada, England" have been acting fucked up and it's getting worse. In the past couple weeks I've read about people getting arrested for video taping, photographing, not holding handrails, swearing, and sometimes the police are ignoring something far more important just because they don't want to hear it. It's almost like these guys have been brain washed/hypnotized to such an extent that common sense and sense of proportion as in minor crime or just non social behavior but lawful are treated as persons committing major felonies. There are parts of England where citizens and children as young as 7 hired as spies on their own communities "remember nazi germany"

This vid is of a girl calling 911 and gets hung up on 3 times in a row, yes hung up on by 911 3 times and all for using the f word then arrested later for it and during this time her father is having a heart attack. This is just one example of this behavior and if I took and hour I could list close to a hundred from just the past month that have been posted online. This one just pissed me off since the guy in it is a 20 yr police veteran and not a rookie and has NO excuse whatsoever.

http://tr.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Ny-ub7E1E
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Fla Flash
Staff (News -- Rom Hacking)

You've got that right.
The actions you describe are bad enough, but it's even more amusing when they purposefully lie to you to get you to confess to something. They're more articulate in doubletalk than you think.
When I was growing up, police weren't supposed to do that. You were a citizen and you got their help.
Nowadays, you're a potential perp.
Fla Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
The 9th Sage

Yeah, it's quite sad when people have these kneejerk conclusions. What happened was a tragedy, sure, but you've got to let it go sometime. It is perhaps harder for someone from NYC, but speaking as someone from New York state, I got over it a long time ago despite how close to home it hit.

Anyway, this is quickly becoming a tangent. :P

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
ARProductions2009

Holy crap.....
ARProductions2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
Isildur

I think cops tend to vary, like people in general. Lots of people, if you put them in a postion where they felt like they had power, would get all "respect mah authoriteh!". (heh, shawn, was it you who used to have that Cartman sig?) Of course, any profession whose practitioners get to exert power may collect a bit more than its share of people who are attracted to exactly that aspect. On the other hand, that may be counterbalanced at least somewhat by people who are attracted to the profession for better reasons. At any rate, there have always been some cops who are complete assholes in certain situations. Take a look at old footage of cops beating up peaceful equal rights protesters in the 1950s and 1960s, for example.

In general, I doubt that cops themselves, as people, have on the whole gotten worse since 9/11 in some way that's very different from how it effected everyone else. They are, however, getting more instructions from their superiors to be on the lookout for suspicious activity, and that combined with the general rise in fear and anxiety among people since 9/11 may embolden some of the worse cops to act harsher than they might otherwise act, and may make the better cops less confident about objecting to such behavior among their peers.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
I think cops tend to vary, like people in general. Lots of people, if you put them in a postion where they felt like they had power, would get all "respect mah authoriteh!". (heh, shawn, was it you who used to have that Cartman sig?) Of course, any profession whose practitioners get to exert power may collect a bit more than its share of people who are attracted to exactly that aspect. On the other hand, that may be counterbalanced at least somewhat by people who are attracted to the profession for better reasons. At any rate, there have always been some cops who are complete assholes in certain situations. Take a look at old footage of cops beating up peaceful equal rights protesters in the 1950s and 1960s, for example.

In general, I doubt that cops themselves, as people, have on the whole gotten worse since 9/11 in some way that's very different from how it effected everyone else. They are, however, getting more instructions from their superiors to be on the lookout for suspicious activity, and that combined with the general rise in fear and anxiety among people since 9/11 may embolden some of the worse cops to act harsher than they might otherwise act, and may make the better cops less confident about objecting to such behavior among their peers.

No I don't think the police are even close to that normally. The police in my town are really nice and helpful like you'ld expect. It's just seems since cops the tv show and 9/11 that these asshole balls to the wall totally anal nazi cops have been showing up more and more. Maybe it's just because the internet doesn't let them hide stuff that's been going on forever but it still bothers the shit out of me.
If that guy had died I'm wondering since he's a cop if he'ld face jail time like a normal person would by impeding emergency services. Hell I'ld be suprised from what I've seen lately if he'ld even be fired.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:09 AM   #7
GeminiMan

I'm not man, I'm not dude, I AM OFFICER RIVIERI!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgWrV8TcUc
GeminiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:54 AM   #8
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiMan View Post
I'm not man, I'm not dude, I AM OFFICER RIVIERI!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgWrV8TcUc
I think that asshole cop was on steroids or something. He basically told the kid skateboarding and calling adults dude would get him killed. He stated that the kid needed to have his parents hit him "illegal" to get him to be a decent child. This guy needs to be fired or put onto desk duty permanently.

Can't believe the idiot took that long to realize there was a camera on him but as has been said before video taping is not illegal in public as long as you are not getting in the officers way since the police videotape stuff like this themselves.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
Fla Flash
Staff (News -- Rom Hacking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
No I don't think the police are even close to that normally. The police in my town are really nice and helpful like you'ld expect. It's just seems since cops the tv show and 9/11 that these asshole balls to the wall totally anal nazi cops have been showing up more and more. Maybe it's just because the internet doesn't let them hide stuff that's been going on forever but it still bothers the shit out of me.
If that guy had died I'm wondering since he's a cop if he'ld face jail time like a normal person would by impeding emergency services. Hell I'ld be suprised from what I've seen lately if he'ld even be fired.

Be glad you don't live here in Florida- or ride a bike here, for that matter. The minute the cops see somebody 30+ on a bicycle they immediately target you as homeless....which means you're subject to all sorts of wonderful attitude.
Fla Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla Flash View Post
Be glad you don't live here in Florida- or ride a bike here, for that matter. The minute the cops see somebody 30+ on a bicycle they immediately target you as homeless....which means you're subject to all sorts of wonderful attitude.
oh fuck I'm 5 years away from that. D:

luckily I'm much much younger looking than that.