Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 05-18-2009, 03:25 AM   #1
shawn

Default Weed and Cigarettes

Weed and Cigarettes are more alike than anyone in the tobacco industry and I bet the government would like you to think since when you smoke you release dopamine in the brain. Dopamine is active in weed "why its called dope" coke and other drugs.

If you smoke and go like an entire day without a butt and smoke one fast after you feel like you're high. If you quit like I did 3 weeks ago today from 3 packs a day and get high to kill the urge to smoke and it worked during the first week I quit you will realize this connection.

If you don't believe me then read this article and then search google with the terms Dopamine and smoking.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/53
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
GeminiMan

Despite the similarities in the release of dopamine, I still feel that the two are too different for easy comparison.

For example, tobacco generally poses a far higher health risk to the user than marijuana. Also something the tobacco industry and government would not like you to know...
GeminiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:54 AM   #3
The 9th Sage

On that note...I have no idea if it's still in the legislature, but there was a vote coming up on a law to legalize Marijauna in New York state. I just about spit out my soda when I heard that. O_o Not what I'd expected to hear. As far as if it's a good thing or no, I'm kind of not really caring either way, though I do find it interesting that something was actually going through the lawmakers of the state.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
saprophytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiMan View Post
Despite the similarities in the release of dopamine, I still feel that the two are too different for easy comparison.

For example, tobacco generally poses a far higher health risk to the user than marijuana. Also something the tobacco industry and government would not like you to know...
I'm not so sure it's a far higher health risk, seeing that marijuana contains tar that effects your lungs the same as cigarette smoke, along with other toxins that make their way through your liver, kidneys, and other parts of your body as well.
saprophytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
GeminiMan

The lungs are actually not equally effected by cigarettes and marijuana. A recent study found that marijuana does not cause lung cancer like smoking tobacco does, possibly due to the rate of cellular regeneration involved between the two. You do get a lot of harmful chemicals from marijuana, and there are certainly negative effects from heavy smoking (emphysema, possible mental problems). However, unless you are an absolute chimney, you're probably much better off getting high on weed than smoking a pack or two a day. On that note, usage trends also probably make a difference in health--cigarette smokers tend to smoke much more by volume.

I'm not a huge fan of either, but I'd rather people smoke weed than cigarettes, frankly.
GeminiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiMan View Post
However, unless you are an absolute chimney, you're probably much better off getting high on weed than smoking a pack or two a day. On that note, usage trends also probably make a difference in health--cigarette smokers tend to smoke much more by volume.

I'm not a huge fan of either, but I'd rather people smoke weed than cigarettes, frankly.
That and if you get high to often you get fired for being a lame brain "happened to me" and lose the income to buy the weed whereas you can smoke all you want for years and all you'll get is cancer and a gold watch for all your years of loyal service to your company and the tobacco industry.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
iThizz

they both have almost the same cancer causing agents too, smoking ftw tho, in the words of me an my bestfriend "whatever takes me off gods green earth faster"

Looked it up chronic has more cancer causing agents but it doesn "stick" to your lungs as well as tobacco smoke does.
iThizz is offline   Reply With Quote