Old 12-27-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
whocrazy

good point.
whocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #12
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcs View Post
Er, by this logic wouldn't you also say "as far as ways of making money go, selling software is a bad one"?
Or for that matter anything digital...
Well I haven't actually paid for any software that wasn't a video game since 2002, so it would hardly be inconsistent for me to imply that.

But there does seem to be a different mentality when it comes to emulators. Most people just don't expect to have to pay money for them, and it is a bit borderline to sell an emulator for a system you have no rights over. There is also the fact that those who actually use emulators tend to be a bit more clued in to the existence of file sharing networks, and have generally decided they're going to play the video games without paying, so why pay for the emulator?

All in all, I think trying to charge for emulators is generally a bad idea. Only a few people have managed to make it work.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #13
toasterhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Even so, the emulator is so good that I think I can forgive him.
At least something good came of things.

Last edited by toasterhed; 01-02-2009 at 07:02 PM.
toasterhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:31 AM   #14
hcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
But there does seem to be a different mentality when it comes to emulators. Most people just don't expect to have to pay money for them, and it is a bit borderline to sell an emulator for a system you have no rights over.
Understood, and I certainly recognize this, it's just that your earlier evidence was just that there was a torrent available for it, while plenty of money is being made selling things that are available free via torrent.
hcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:33 AM   #15
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcs View Post
Understood, and I certainly recognize this, it's just that your earlier evidence was just that there was a torrent available for it, while plenty of money is being made selling things that are available free via torrent.
Well it wasn't the full story. The full story includes trying to sell software (the emulator) to people who have already downloaded other software (the games) for free*, and not having an army of well-paid lawyers to put the fear of God into them.

In this case, it's even worse. He was asking $2.50 for the 'free' version, which meant people had been used to getting it for free. Not only that, the 'free' version only existed because his demos had been cracked, meaning he expected a community that had cracked his demos to pay on the basis of nothing more than an honour system. Seems clear to me that he was getting desperate at that point.

*I know not every person who uses an emulator does this, but be realistic, 99.999% do.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:00 AM   #16
Isildur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
In this case, it's even worse. He was asking $2.50 for the 'free' version, which meant people had been used to getting it for free. Not only that, the 'free' version only existed because his demos had been cracked, meaning he expected a community that had cracked his demos to pay on the basis of nothing more than an honour system. Seems clear to me that he was getting desperate at that point.
And on top of all that, the expectations created simply by the "no$" name itself couldn't have helped...
Isildur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:46 AM   #17
BIrvine

Yep, I bet he makes "no$' off them either
BIrvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:37 AM   #18
whocrazy

either way, it's a real shame he's no longer developing no$GBA, it was a really good fast emulator.
yes, I downloaded it through is website and payed $2 through paypal to upgrade to the latest version, I have emailed him but have not got a response, all I wanted to know is was No$gba still under development, and if so, was the GBA emulation still being worked on.
But I guess he's so angry and bitter that he just nukes his inbox without even looking at the messages, or just assumes everyone who emails him is a rom begger, a braindead moron who doesn't know how to use computers, or a troll. You just got that feeling about him just from reading the docs and the way he handled the situation, IE, putting all the dumb emails up on the website for everyone to view.
You develop a negative attitude, and negative things will happen.
whocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #19
Dontbugme

If anyone cares, he resurrected with a new SNES emulator

http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=8651

Villa Palmar Timeshare Destinations

Last edited by Dontbugme; 02-21-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Dontbugme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #20
Mir_Vimes

Last edited by Mir_Vimes; 11-22-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Mir_Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote