Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 05-30-2009, 01:45 AM   #21
InVerse

Once you figure most everything out, I would suggest dumping the script, making some major edits (they don't have to be *meaningful*, just fairly extensive in scope), and then reinserting the script. This will give you good practice with two of the most fundamental skills in ROM translation. (One of which I have absolutely no experience in myself. I tend to dump the script, send it to the translator, and then manually type the entire thing back into the ROM. Of course, I've never done anything with more than a moderate amount of text, either.)

Something else you could consider, figuring out how the maps are laid out. With this information, you could not only modify the text, but also the entire layout of the game, which would pretty much allow you to make an entirely new story from the original.

Or if you don't think the translation is up to snuff, try dumping the script from the Japanese version, having someone retranslate it and then re-insert it. Or you could just do a rewrite of the script without actually retranslating it and just call it an enhanced version. I've contemplated doing this for a few games.

Incidentally, someone recently released a text editor specifically for Dragon Warrior IV, so if you were interested in translating that, it would be extremely easy to do. Not sure what there is for DWIII and I think we already established that U:QotA has at least a compressed font. You know, I really need to play DWIII and IV some day... I've literally beaten Dragon Warrior over a dozen times, once without using my hands or feet (I was sick one day and just kind of laid in bed and worked the controller with my face and decided to beat the entire game that way) and once without using any weapons whatsoever. (Yes, you have to find Erdrick's Sword in order to defeat the Dragon Lord, but you don't actually have to KEEP it. I found it, sold it for 1GP and was able to damage the Dragon Lord with my bare hands (and copious amounts of Fireball.)

I got to the final boss on Dragon Warrior II, died and never bothered to go through the dungeon again (this was on a real cart, no save states) but since then, I haven't really played any DW games. I think I beat the first 2 chapters of IV, not sure if I've ever even played III and I started a game of V but never got very far in it.

I *do* have a hack of Dragon Warrior in which the main character is wearing a Ku Klux Klan robe. I had an idea to make a racism-based hack (which is not the same as a racist hack) but never got around to fleshing it out. Also, someone should do some sort of hack of Brain Lord which is an Enix adventure/action-rpg which isn't actually related to Dragon Warrior/Quest but does feature Dragon Warriors (and that's what they're called.) Awesome little obscure game that I never would have encountered were it not for emulation.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:01 AM   #22
Kilyle

Smile Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
Once you figure most everything out, I would suggest dumping the script, making some major edits (they don't have to be *meaningful*, just fairly extensive in scope), and then reinserting the script. This will give you good practice with two of the most fundamental skills in ROM translation. (One of which I have absolutely no experience in myself. I tend to dump the script, send it to the translator, and then manually type the entire thing back into the ROM. Of course, I've never done anything with more than a moderate amount of text, either.)
I think this is a good idea. I have been manually editing each letter, which is starting to make me a bit faster when it comes typing in certain letters, but still is inefficient. So... what's the first step on script dumping? (I'll be hunting down info on this subject when I get a chance, but right now it's the weekend and I'll be heading out soon for a picnic with my nephew, so no time to get my own info right now.)

ETA: I should say, regarding script re-insertion: How do I account for digraphs? I mean, the vague idea I have about how this might work is a program that makes a 1-to-1 transfer. So if I had the word "greener" in the text, and it happened to be in the ROM using only 4 values (g re en er), wouldn't the insertion routine try to put it back in using 7?

Quote:
Something else you could consider, figuring out how the maps are laid out. With this information, you could not only modify the text, but also the entire layout of the game, which would pretty much allow you to make an entirely new story from the original.
I would definitely like to do this. I have considered making a version based on Prince Camaralzaman and Princess Badoura, one of my favorite Arabian Nights, but with the character of Marzavan as the lead (hunting for the other two). But I'd have to change and/or rearrange the graphics significantly to do this.

I haven't actually found the Japanese version of the game. My "bad translation" line comes from such things as poor punctuation (extra commas, lines that end in comma and period, etc.) and odd phrasings. Maybe I should look for the original.

Quote:
Incidentally, someone recently released a text editor specifically for Dragon Warrior IV, so if you were interested in translating that, it would be extremely easy to do.
Thanks for the info! That'll be a big help.

Quote:
You know, I really need to play DWIII and IV some day...
Yes. I consider them very good, fairly replayable games. I definitely prefer the "retro" versions to the "updated" versions... I think the old graphics look far better than the bigger, more detailed graphics, when each is judged by the possibilities of their medium. If you haven't played DWIV to at least the end of Taloon's chapter, I think you've missed one of the coolest sequences in that style of game ever.

Quote:
I had an idea to make a racism-based hack (which is not the same as a racist hack) but never got around to fleshing it out.
I think that would be very cool. I would love to play it. I think that racism in a fantasy medium offers excellent possibilities for exploring the subject apart from the defenses that get raised when you directly deal with it in a real-world setting.

I have considered doing something within some interactive medium, in which you first encounter goblins who are trying to kill or rob you, and kill them - and then, later, get the choice of whether or not to kill these other goblins, and it turns into a discussion of whether the actions of a few are enough to condemn the rest. (You wouldn't kill all humans just because a couple mugged you.)

If that scenario appeals to you at all, go ahead and use it. I probably won't be using it for ages anyway.

Last edited by Kilyle; 06-02-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: other question
Kilyle is offline   Reply With Quote