Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
MyaMyaMya

Default First Famicom/NES emulator?

Has there been research(haha) done into what Famicom/NES emulator was the first? From what I've been able to find(but I've likely not found all), it's either:

Pasofami, for the FM Towns, with a release date of May 1, 1993 in its info file.

Family Computer Emulator V0.35 for FM Towns, by "Haruhisa Udagawa", with file timestamps of December 12, 1990.

I'm inclined to believe the release date of Pasofami, but Haruhisa Udagawa's emulator seems too early, and I have to wonder if someone's clock was set incorrectly. Still, it's at least possible, the purported author coded at least part of Galaxian some years before 1990.

I've tested both in an FM Towns emulator, and both do work with simple games like Donkey Kong, so they're not fakes. Pasofami even has sound...awful ear-killing sound.

I've attached the relevant files. The forum software won't recognize extensions of "LZH" as valid, so I've added the LHarc archives to ZIP archives.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nesemu.zip (5.8 KB, 356 views)
File Type: zip pasotwn.zip (100.4 KB, 402 views)
MyaMyaMya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
BIrvine

I'm not sure about FM Towns emulation, but in general the first 'working' emulator was Pasofami, followed by iNes. There may have been broken emulators that did nothing before them.
BIrvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
MyaMyaMya

Well yeah, that Pasofami WinG and iNES were early NES emulators that gained western attention in 1995 or 1996 is pretty common(or uncommon...) knowledge, but what came before those years is more unknown.

And then there's that whole unverifiable Yuji Naka rumor.

(I didn't mention this in my first post, but the Pasofami archive includes source code for the emulator)
MyaMyaMya is offline   Reply With Quote