Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #21
packardmelan

Not to bump the target or anything but...
My favorite SNES emulator of the moment is actually BSNES. My favorite DS emulator of the moment is No$GBA; even if I can't resize the windows.

That's all I have to add.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #22
The 9th Sage

Oh no, if you bump anything this is a good cannidate. I'm going more and more in the BSNES direction myself. I mean..."Super Gameboy" emulation? That's awesome.

Twitter
Old 11-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #23
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Oh no, if you bump anything this is a good cannidate. I'm going more and more in the BSNES direction myself. I mean..."Super Gameboy" emulation? That's awesome.
for me bsnes suffers the same issues as fceux.... poor video rendering. I get studders every so often. It's not smooth like in zsnes. And yes, I have a decent rig to run it...
Old 11-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #24
packardmelan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
for me bsnes suffers the same issues as fceux.... poor video rendering. I get studders every so often. It's not smooth like in zsnes. And yes, I have a decent rig to run it...
Strange, I don't recall getting any stutters. I -do- turn VSYNC on all my emus though. Do you know of any specific game you have trouble with? I'd like to try it on my PC.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #25
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by packardmelan View Post
Strange, I don't recall getting any stutters. I -do- turn VSYNC on all my emus though. Do you know of any specific game you have trouble with? I'd like to try it on my PC.
I tested it with Super Metroid... I saw stutter. Really noticeable with NTSC and field merging disabled.

quad core 2.5GHz, geforce 280, 4GB RAM, windows 7, etc...
Old 11-06-2009, 10:58 PM   #26
packardmelan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
I tested it with Super Metroid... I saw stutter. Really noticeable with NTSC and field merging disabled.

quad core 2.5GHz, geforce 280, 4GB RAM, windows 7, etc...
Hmm. I never used the NTSC filter on bsnes before. Here's what I've done to try and recreate that.

Video Mode: Scale MAX; NTSC; Fullscreen; Correct Aspect Ratio.
Video Filter: NTSC. In configure: Everything is defaulted to RF, including no merging fields. Smooth video output is on. Emulation Speed is set to 100%. And I'm using a Xbox 360 pad, wireless.

As for hardware, I have an AMD Phenom II X2 550, clocked as shipped to 3.1 GHz. ATI Radeon HD 2600, 4GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

If I have 'sync video' and 'sync audio' both checked, I do indeed get some strange, occasional, stuttering - where the FPS in the bottom corner drops from 59/60 fps to about 53 fps. Then it's fine. Now if I turn off sync audio, the fps never drops below 59 fps -- but the sound still stutters now and again. And when you get an item in game, the audio queue sounds TERRIBLE... unless you sync audio.

In other words, I've recreated your issue using bsnes v0.054. I never noticed it before. In writing this I noticed v0.055 was out and tried it again real quick.

What I noticed was Smooth Video Output doesn't do anything anymore; like it's enabled all the time. But now the video 'glitches' like it's having trouble keeping that particular filter turned on - going 'sharper' for half a second at at time. And again, the glitches were terrible if I had audio sync on - but if I turned that off, no stuttering... but the audio was scratchy as hell.

Very weird.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #27
nensondubois

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
There's Super game Boy implemented? Wh... What?!? Really?
Old 11-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #28
packardmelan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nensondubois View Post
There's Super game Boy implemented? Wh... What?!? Really?
Yeah, using the Gambatte core.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:24 AM   #29
packardmelan

Okay Reaper Man - I think I've 'fixed' bsnes to emulate Super Metroid better. I'd like you to try my settings if you're willing and see what you think.

I downloaded zSNES 1.51 and set about futzing with it and it's NTSC filter. When I was happy with it, I went back to bsnes v0.055 and started doing the same thing, trying to recreate my experience with zSNES. Here's what I have.

In settings:
Video: "Simulate NTSC TV gamma ramp" turned on.
Audio: Frequency: 32000 Hz, Latency 80ms
Advanced: Video Driver: OpenGL

Video Mode; Scale 3x (my desktop resolution is 1360x768 and I'm running bsnes in a maximized window - 3x seems perfect.) Correct Aspect Ratio: ON.
Video Filter: NTSC
Filter Configuration: Sharpness, -0.2; Resolution: 0.2; Artifacts: -0.79; Fringing: -0.8; Merge turned off.

Smooth Video Output is turned off.

In Emulation Speed, make sure Sync Video is -off-. And Sync Audio is -on-.

-- Emulation feels synced, I'm not seeing any glitches anymore, and the audio is -spot on- when you collect an item.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:54 AM   #30
nensondubois

Quote:
Originally Posted by packardmelan View Post
Yeah, using the Gambatte core.
This is the best emulator ever!
Closed Thread