Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 07-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Default Hack Megaman

Hi.

If I wanted to hack one of the gameboy mega man games, change it a bunch, and then load it on to a blank gameboy cartridge... Well is it possible and if so what do i need?

Thanks.
Maximum Potion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:51 AM   #2
ToastyCheesy

wow, you sure are asking a whole lot.

what exactly do you plan to do with these megaman games? As far as I know, there are no game specific editors for megaman. I'm not sure if it's in your skill level, but you could try using a hex editor, I'm not really into the specifics of the more advanced stuff, someone else may be able to help you here, or you can use Google.

I can help you with loading it back on a cartridge though! you need a flash cartridge that works in a Gameboy... assuming you ARE using gameboy cartridges. you also need a reader that will work with that flash cart, I can suggest looking here.
ToastyCheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:16 AM   #3
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Potion View Post
change it a bunch
HOLD IT!

Change it a bunch? Could you be more specific?
Old 07-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
Maximum Potion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
HOLD IT!

Change it a bunch? Could you be more specific?
Pretty much what I want to do is change the majority of the graphics, all the music and the levels. Basically I just want to keep the basic engine for a gameboy sidescroller. Since I don't really know alot about rom hacking I figured this would be the easiest wat to make a sidescroller on a gameboy cartridge. I considered using a Metroid II editor, but there's no subscreen and i'd like to have one. I don't know if this is the best way to do what i want, and i'm pretty much just starting to explore rom hacking.

And thanks ToastyCheesy, that's what i need.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Potion View Post
Pretty much what I want to do is change the majority of the graphics, all the music and the levels. Basically I just want to keep the basic engine for a gameboy sidescroller. Since I don't really know alot about rom hacking I figured this would be the easiest wat to make a sidescroller on a gameboy cartridge. I considered using a Metroid II editor, but there's no subscreen and i'd like to have one. I don't know if this is the best way to do what i want, and i'm pretty much just starting to explore rom hacking.
The graphics shouldn't be heard. You can use a tile editor for that. I don't do graphics though, so I can't really recommend anything.
Music hacking is very... advanced. I wouldn't try it until you have learned more about rom hacking. It requires intimate knowledge of the gameboy's CPU and sound chip. In other words it's not for the beginner hacker.
The levels are more possible, but you are going to have to find where/how they are stored or find documentation on it (which I don't think exists. I could be wrong though)

also, you claim you want to just make a side scroller unrelated to megaman. Will this side scroller have similar gameplay related to megaman (ie a hero that shoots progectiles that fighs a boss and gains their powers)?
Old 07-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
The 9th Sage

Hm...are there any Gameboy/GBC flashcarts still actively manufactured? Does anyone know? Most recent thing I remember hearing of was I believe a Flash Advance with a GB Bridge (so that it could be used as a GB/GBC cart). You might have to hit up eBay.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Maximum Potion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
The graphics shouldn't be heard. You can use a tile editor for that. I don't do graphics though, so I can't really recommend anything.
Music hacking is very... advanced. I wouldn't try it until you have learned more about rom hacking. It requires intimate knowledge of the gameboy's CPU and sound chip. In other words it's not for the beginner hacker.
The levels are more possible, but you are going to have to find where/how they are stored or find documentation on it (which I don't think exists. I could be wrong though)

also, you claim you want to just make a side scroller unrelated to megaman. Will this side scroller have similar gameplay related to megaman (ie a hero that shoots progectiles that fighs a boss and gains their powers)?
Yes, i chose mega man because i want to keep the sub weapon elements as well as the projectile attacks etc. I imagine the password system will still function properly as long as I don't alter the number of levels and weapons and stuff like that.

So I guess what I need is a hex editor. Which one do you reccomend?
Old 07-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
Reaper man

I've heard that windhex is pretty good

I'd also suggest finding documentation on finding level data in the game. I'm pretty sure a veteran rom hacker here can point you in the right direction
Old 07-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #9
Maximum Potion

Who could I ask about that (finding level data) and where could I learn about how to edit the data? I don't really know what i'm looking for in the hex editor.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:39 AM   #10
DynaShock

Go to Romhacking.net and find some documentation on editing the game's hex. If you can't find it, try Google. If that doesn't work, choose another game.
DynaShock is offline   Reply With Quote