Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 10-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
f03n1x

Default Game Boy Advance Dialog Editor

Was searching around the net for some sort of program that does this. all I've pulled up so far is 1000 sites generally surrounding Pokemon Edited Roms. Even the programs themselves are all coded just for a particular Rom.

So question here is, is there any actually universal Editor that works for any Rom in general? , Was only going to do a Jap to Eng translation of a game nothing major.

If you guys find anything please tell me will gladly appreciate it
f03n1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
InVerse

The reason dialogue editors are geared toward specific games is because every game stores it's script differently. The only way a universal editor could exist is if someone figured out the storage structure of every single game in existence and then wrote an editor to accommodate them.

If you think a translation of a game is "nothing major" then you're destined for failure. There's a reason why so many games take years to see a translation. It's very rarely a simple process unless the game only has few words, in which case it's rather pointless.

The only universal editor you're going to find is a hex editor. And then you'll have to build a table file for the particular ROM you want to hack. Then you'll have to locate the dialogue. If said dialogue is compressed, then you'll have to reverse engineer the compression algorithm and write a decompressor. You'll have to figure out the pointer system as well as any control codes that might be present. Then you'll have to extract the script, get it translated, format it so that it fits back into the ROM and then actually reinsert it.

Game translation is not a casual hobby.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
f03n1x

Alright didn't know it was such a pain to do, I sort of expected all games to have their own ways of storing data and such, all programmers have different ideas and such. I'll probably make this my hobby anyways no matter how long it takes.

Well thanks for the advice I didn't know it was so technical, I guess I'll give it a go, I'm not one that would fail without giving it a proper go.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
kone191

That's the way to go!
What InVerse said here contains lots of facts about how to translate a game but not only that but rom hacking in general.

It makes no difference which you game start with in case you try to figure out how to edit its text data without game-specific tools (like for pokemon roms like you described above). I as for myself have been doing a pokemon hack (of silver rom) for a long time now but anymore, would have no problem switching over to hacking a whole different game; any snes game with only a little/no documentation would for example do.

In a similar way, if you only want to make a translation of the game you desire, you could easily achieve doing a lot more with the same knowledge you pick up from researching how it works.
kone191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
f03n1x

Okay then guess I'll add it to the list of projects I plan on doing I've got some free time after I graduate, Oh yeah totally forgot to mention the game I wanted to translate it's actually the one of only two Full Metal Alchemist Gba games. Sadly only released in Japan so unless you have a page of the translated Dialog right next to the game or know Japanese lol you're not gonna get far. Was thinking It'd be awesome if it was ever translated and since no one has done it (as far as I know that is) plus the fact I'm a FullMetal Alchemist fan I thought I'd give it a go. I do plan on learning Coding in the future so I guess this and some of the other projects I had in mind would help push me to learn it more, and yeah who knows if I get translations done I may be able to do something with it. Oh yeah I found this eBook for rom hacking lol its funny wouldn't have expected to find something along those lines, it has the basics so I guess I could use it as a sort of basis to start the translation process, hopefully it ends up being a good read and not some garbage (when half the time thats the case).

Anyway thanks for the responses guys, I'll keep in touch with any progress that I come up with.

Last edited by f03n1x; 10-27-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
InVerse

What ebook is that? I'm curious as to whether it's something that someone legitimately put together or if it's something that some asshole cobbled together from several stolen tutorials. (Most of the tutorials I've written are old and a bit outdated at this point but nobody seems to have bothered to write anything better.)

As far as coding, keep in mind that in order to hack the programming side of ROMs, you're generally going to need to know the assembly language for that particular platform, which is completely different from C#/VB/Python/insertthesortoflanguagespeopleusuallyusehere.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
f03n1x

Here's the link yeah that's what I was wondering too,
[url]http://filetrip.net/l30026-GBA-and-DS-Rom-hacking-guide-2012-preview-2.html[/url]

Yeah well I always wanted to learn how to disassemble programs not from hacking sense just a to see how it ticks sorta sense. Coding is also something I've wanted to learn I guess yeah its not gonna be something I learn overnight but I'm gonna have a lot of free time on my hands. I guess I'll have to search up your tutorials don't really care if they are outdated if they're good I'll Definitely use them.