Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 10-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
PokemonGirl(ZK)

Default Questions about the hack "Pokemon Girl"

I've kind of roamed Zophar for a while, mainly trying out a lot of the old Game Boy hacks for nostalgia screwing. What I really wanted was a hack of the old Red/Blue with a female character, just because. So I found PokemonGirl, a Pokemon Red hack, and started playing and I kind of enjoy that it basically changes nothing besides a little text and the images, it doesn't dilute the game at all.

However, the game is having some stability issues. If I try to do the battle just west of Viridian early in the game (the one where my rival would have just her starter and a Pidgey), the game freezes. From what I've read online, other bits of the game freeze too (though as there is scarce knowledge of this game on the net it seems, I haven't yet found specifically what those spots are, and I'll probably find out the hard way).

Is the maker of Pokemon Girl "Spun Web Translations" still active at all? The website linked on the game's page is quite dead, so my hopes aren't high there. All this hack needs is a little tweaking for nofreezing and a minor spellcheck run and it would be fine, so if the maker isn't around, I want to find out what it would take to make those changes myself (I haven't done any romhacking before, but I'd be eager to learn what to do with my Mac to make this hack work right).
PokemonGirl(ZK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
InVerse

Fixing spelling would be easy enough. There are script editors for Windows, not sure if you'd be able to get them to work on a Mac or not, but it should be fairly simple to load up the ROM in a hex editor, with a table file and change the text.

The freezing, on the other hand, could be more difficult, depending on what was changed to cause the bugs in the first place.

My suggestion would be to check over at PokeCommunity, as that's where all of the "expert" Pokemon hackers reside.

And don't mind Reaperman once he starts ranting about how Mac sucks. He's still stuck back in the '90s, when people actually gave a shit about such things.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
PokemonGirl(ZK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
Fixing spelling would be easy enough. There are script editors for Windows, not sure if you'd be able to get them to work on a Mac or not, but it should be fairly simple to load up the ROM in a hex editor, with a table file and change the text.

The freezing, on the other hand, could be more difficult, depending on what was changed to cause the bugs in the first place.

My suggestion would be to check over at [url=http://www.pokecommunity.com/]PokeCommunity[/url], as that's where all of the "expert" Pokemon hackers reside.

And don't mind Reaperman once he starts ranting about how Mac sucks. He's still stuck back in the '90s, when people actually gave a shit about such things.
I'm used to the "Mac is gay" comments enough. Luckily, life has a mild sense of humor, so I can usually reply with "fits me just fine then".

I'll check Pokecommunity next, just though I should start here. I've been off-and-on coming to Zophar for something like eight years I think, since 8th grade at least (at the time I didn't know how to apply the patches, so I just read the descriptions of them, I didn't learn about patch applying until recently).
Old 10-29-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
kone191

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
My suggestion would be to check over at PokeCommunity, as that's where all of the "expert" Pokemon hackers reside.
True experts
Even the tutorial section is full of crap explaining how to use different tools, none of them gives you any useful information about hacking in general. And, most hacks are done with game-basic editors anyway...

"Looking for a guide to help you out? Then you're in the right place! We've got everything you need, ranging from Mapping to Music!"

Last edited by kone191; 10-29-2010 at 10:57 PM.
kone191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonGirl(ZK) View Post
(I haven't done any romhacking before, but I'd be eager to learn what to do with my Mac to make this hack work right).
Little, if anything at all. Get a computer that isn't shit.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
PokemonGirl(ZK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
Little, if anything at all. Get a computer that isn't shit.
WoW, InVerse is a psychic it seems. Must be from previous modding. *has been roaming random topics trying to read up on the history here*

I've made a topic over at PCommunity now.