Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 08-25-2004, 08:58 PM   #1
jraregris

Default Splitting Roms

I recently bought a Sega Genesis (Megadrive version) with a floppy drive. And I've figured that I need to split the regular Genesis ROMS into pieces to play them on the floppy drive. But I don't know how.

Anyone?

<P ID="signature"></P>
jraregris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:43 PM   #2
(wraith_)

Default Re: Splitting Roms

I wrote this for SNES games a while back (hence the name) but it will work on any file really. It will split it up into any number of Mbits (11 by default--the max that will fit on a floppy and divide evenly) and stick the pieces in the same directory as the original.

If you're too lazy to browse for the file you can drag and drop it onto the app.

<P ID="signature"><hr width=350 align=left>
Remember, the Internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens.</P>

C:Serverxampphtdocszopharoldwwwthrea...tsSNESplit.zip
Old 08-29-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
jraregris

> I wrote this for SNES games a while back (hence the name)
> but it will work on any file really.

I read in this (Felipe XnaK and Volker Oth's doc about Gen-roms) that there needs to be added 512 byte headers to the files. Is that something that can easily be done manually?

<P ID="signature"></P>
Old 08-29-2004, 06:39 PM   #4
Ugly Joe

Do you have any pictures of this thing or know anything else about it? I was intrigued by it and googled it for a bit. From what I can tell, you have either a prototype of some sort (which was abandoned since the modem was a bust), a TerraDrive (which isn't likely since it resembles a PC more than a megadrive), or a megadrive with some kind of game copier.

At any rate, I sincerely doubt that the megadrive is going to accept the roms from a series of floppy disks. Even if it were going to, it probably would require a special disk format or expect some kind of file structure (as opposed to simply piece after piece of the rom).

<P ID="signature"></P>
Old 08-29-2004, 07:25 PM   #5
jraregris

> Do you have any pictures of this thing or know anything else
> about it? I was intrigued by it and googled it for a bit.

When I asked the guy who I bought it from if I could buy it, he asked me how much I were willing to give for it. I said that I'd have a look around on the internet. Do a little research. But I ended up blank.

I'm not home right now, and I don't remember the name of the thing. But it's a floppy drive with a bottom like a cart. So you insert it into the cart slot. And it's almost the size of the Genesis. And it needs it's own power supply for the floppy drive. It uses regual HD-disks. And the files can be viewed by my pc. (I haven't tried running them through any emulators because I don't have one in my internetless home.) It can also save carts to disks, but I haven't been able to try since I don't own any carts.

I think it's called Pro Fighter or something like that. But that could be the name of anything, actually. I'll post some pics as soon as I get myself to snap any.

If I'm able to actually get regular Genesis roms into a format that this gadget will accept this could prove to be a really neat developer-tool. Of course. Playing hacks and so forth.

<P ID="signature"></P>
Old 08-29-2004, 07:54 PM   #6
Ugly Joe

Sounds very much like a backup unit (something like <a href=http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/backup/misc/miscmdiskint.html>this</a>). If this is the case, the disk drive is for savegame data and also possibly to dump roms to.

<P ID="signature"></P>
Old 08-29-2004, 08:06 PM   #7
jraregris

> Sounds very much like a backup unit (something like this).
> If this is the case, the disk drive is for savegame data and
> also possibly to dump roms to.

That's not it. But this is!

<P ID="signature"></P>