P0rtal0fRain

Default Audio format quiz

Code:
V2
320kbps MP3
V0
FLAC
160kbps MP3
Can you put this in the correct order from the lowest to the highest bitrate? I got stumped on this question last time.
P0rtal0fRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0rtal0fRain View Post
Code:
V2
320kbps MP3
V0
FLAC
160kbps MP3
Can you put this in the correct order from the lowest to the highest bitrate? I got stumped on this question last time.
Well if you're not talking quality or anything else then the obvious answer is flac has the lowest bitrate since the recording is encoded at the lower bitrate it will decode at half the bps than the bigger bitrate/filesize mp3 per second.

Also even though 320K mp3 is studio quality from what I've heard about Flac it actually might sound the same even though the mp3 is probably a much larger file.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
Cornellius

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0rtal0fRain View Post
Code:
V2
320kbps MP3
V0
FLAC
160kbps MP3
Correct order (From lowest to highest quality)

V2
V0
160 MP3
320 MP3
FLAC

(V2 and V0 are for VBR. The main objectives of the VBR is change the bitrates without removing any audible information)

I know that most people will tell you that V0 and V2 > 160 and 320, but I've always been unsure about that.

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)

Last edited by Cornellius; 07-05-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornellius View Post
I know that most people will tell you that V0 and V2 > 160 and 320, but I've always been unsure about that.
320 KBPS MP3 is probably better than the VBR in theory, since it's a really high, solid bitrate, but in practice I feel a high VBR setting works just as well, and should also result in a somewhat smaller file. How much smaller I don't know.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
320 KBPS MP3 is probably better than the VBR in theory, since it's a really high, solid bitrate, but in practice I feel a high VBR setting works just as well, and should also result in a somewhat smaller file. How much smaller I don't know.

320 constant "not variable" kbps is CD quality or the same as a pure wav file. I don't use/like vbr since a lot of older cd players can't handle it if you burn music to a CD. I find using a preset when using the LAME codec of 192 kbps constant bitrate gives me very good results. It also converts well from an MP3 to a WAV file "on the fly" when using nero to burn an audio CD.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
320 constant "not variable" kbps is CD quality or the same as a pure wav file. I don't use/like vbr since a lot of older cd players can't handle it if you burn music to a CD. I find using a preset when using the LAME codec of 192 kbps constant bitrate gives me very good results. It also converts well from an MP3 to a WAV file "on the fly" when using nero to burn an audio CD.
Wait...after your CD burning software converts it to a WAV, the format shouldn't matter as far as the CD Player is concerned (since it'll be burnt as CD Audio). Unless you refer to MP3 playing CD Players, in which case you might be right in that some CD Players are going to refuse to play them. If you really mean the first thing, I'd try some other software for burning my Audio CD.

I do have to say too that 320 constant is not the same as a WAV. It's still gone through MP3 compression and MP3 isn't lossless. No one could tell the difference at that bitrate though, so it's kind of a moot point. Just saying.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Wait...after your CD burning software converts it to a WAV, the format shouldn't matter as far as the CD Player is concerned (since it'll be burnt as CD Audio). Unless you refer to MP3 playing CD Players, in which case you might be right in that some CD Players are going to refuse to play them. If you really mean the first thing, I'd try some other software for burning my Audio CD.

I do have to say too that 320 constant is not the same as a WAV. It's still gone through MP3 compression and MP3 isn't lossless. No one could tell the difference at that bitrate though, so it's kind of a moot point. Just saying.
Your right, spaced it on that part. Don't know why I even wrote that.