Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 07-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
Deverica Wolf

Smile Odd problem with playing a PSF file in Winamp 2/5 and foobar2000.

Hi. I'm having a problem with playing minipsf files. I have tried it on two different PCs and it's the same thing. Both are using Windows 7.

I installed Highly Experimental from Neill Corlett's website for Winamp. I decompressed the file from the .rar and when I try to play it says "The system cannot find the file specified". This is happening in both Winamp 2 & Winamp 5.

I installed PSF Decoder for foobar2000 (foo_psf). When I try to play it, it says "Unable to open item for playback (Object not found)".

Any idea what this problem is? My old PC with Windows 98 SE played these files with no problem.

If you know of any other place I can get help please let me know as well.
Deverica Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
Montie2k
SuperMod and Music Guru

Have you also decompressed the associated .psflib file into the same directory as the .minipsf file?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
Deverica Wolf

Talking Thanks a bunch! ^_^

OMG I could kiss you! Well, I'm a guy, so it'd be a manly handshake!

I tried running it straight from the .rar file. I guess you cannot like you can with an .spc file? It has been like 5 years since I tried to do it last. Come to think of it, my old .rars WERE decompressed. I did not even see the .psflib file in the .rar folder when I decompressed the one song. I usually listen to SNESamp so this is still new to me.

Hey, I am from Providence, Rhode Island too! I live on Benedict St., off of Cranston St. in Providence! This state sucks. Crime is terrible and too many druggies, and the bus system stinks. I love the food and the downtown library, though. And the radio. 92 PROFM, 94.1 WHJY, and 95.5 WBRU!

I am an aspiring songwriter myself. I am learning how to play the keyboard right now and practicing my singing lessons. I'm gonna be "big" someday!

Well, I am off to listening to some Final Fantasy 7 tracks. You can catch me hanging in the forum in my profile. I'll drop by in the future. Peace!

PS: I've been coming to Zophar for a LONG time. Since 2000, when I was a young teenager. I never posted on here once, though. Love the site and what you do for the gaming scene. One of the best EMU sites, for sure! Love ya!

Last edited by Deverica Wolf; 07-12-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Deverica Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Montie2k
SuperMod and Music Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deverica Wolf View Post
I tried running it straight from the .rar file. I guess you cannot like you can with an .spc file? It has been like 5 years since I tried to do it last. Come to think of it, my old .rars WERE decompressed. I did not even see the .psflib file in the .rar folder when I decompressed the one song. I usually listen to SNESamp so this is still new to me.
Yeah, each individual .spc file is self-contained, but think of all of the .minipsf files as small sequences which rely on the .psflib file to take in most of the data they need (that's why the .minipsf files are tiny and the .psflib file is huge.)

Note that, if the soundtrack contains .psf files instead of .minipsf files, each .psf file can stand alone, much like an .spc.

Good to see a fellow RIer here.