Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 01-18-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
puduhead

Thumbs up Google Chrome

Anyone using it? I am trying it out:

It runs a lot faster on my machine than firefox. (Probably not an issue for people with state of the art PCs).

I like how concise the menu bar is. Less cluttered than IE/Firefox - more viewable web area.

I like the way tabs are implemented. Rather than showing inside the web browser view area, they display as part of the top menu bar.

Another nice feature, when you open a new tab it shows thumbnails of the recent sites visited making it more convenient to return to a recently used site than the drop down list.

Looks clean. Runs fast. No noticeable incompatibility so far. Ported over my bookmarks automatically.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Lillymon

Yeah, I tried Chrome myself. I immediately found three killer problems, any one of which would prevent me from using it as my main browser.

The position of the tab bar is the first. Many other people like this, but I hated the idea as soon as I saw it. I keep my browser maximized all of the time (I like the space) and I have a hidden panel at the top of my screen (centred, about 80% of the screen width). You can see where this is going, I certainly did. I reach for a tab, which is about five pixels from the top edge of the screen, and accidentally float the panel. Again. I need to be able to move the tab bar down.

The buttons to control the page, browser, and bookmarks is just stupid (at least on the Linux version). Why the hell are they to the right of everything else? This means the sub menus pop out to the left of the main menu, unlike every other application I have ever used in 14 years of computing. This is not a Mac, we do not do things different just for shits and giggles, I need to be able to move all of those buttons to be on to the left of everything else.

Also, I just noticed that Chrome's tab bar has a 'Close Tabs to the Right' option, which is nice (few others do this). But no 'Close Tabs to the Left'? What? How does that make sense? I have Close Right Tabs and Close Left Tabs in Firefox (thanks to Tab Mix Plus) and made presence of these a condition of switching to another browser. Really, Google came close on this one, but what happened? They have no concept of tabs being to the left of the current one?

It's good, but not there yet. Lack of UI customization seems the biggest hindrance to me, Google's defaults absolutely do not work for me.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
Reaper man

I'd use Chrome, but I can't live without some of my extensions, and Chrome uses webkit, which is tainted by Apple faggotry....
Old 01-23-2010, 03:30 AM   #4
Burzy
Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
Lack of UI customization seems the biggest hindrance to me, Google's defaults absolutely do not work for me.
Same here. I'm only putting up with it for now until I format next weekend as my system is rather slow and mozilla is killing me with load times. I was very shocked that a go-getter like google wouldn't have allowed for a customizable interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
I'd use Chrome, but I can't live without some of my extensions, and Chrome uses webkit, which is tainted by Apple faggotry....
If I didn't think it'd get me fired I'd put quotes like this on a t-shirt and wear it to my tech job, lol.

One main thing I cannot go without anymore, is an add on called "invert colours" for Firefox. Most web pages I find have an annoying habit of blasting me with bright-white backgrounds. I stay up pretty late most of the time, and my eyes are damn sensitive to brightness, so this add-on makes most webpages have a jet-black background, with white text. Awesome.

Overall , I still am far more comfortable using Firefox, but the speed of chrome is the only tempting thing. Chrome is okay, but I'll be hoping for an update that addresses issues mentioned here before I make it my new default.

Last edited by Burzy; 01-23-2010 at 03:38 AM.
Burzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
VT-Vincent

I use Chrome for web development testing but that's really about it. I've tried to use it as my primary browser but the inability to customize the toolbar layout as well as the lack of some common plugins I use keep me coming back to Firefox. As of late though, I have noticed stability issues becoming more commonplace in Firefox and if that trend continues, that could be one thing that would push me over to Chrome.

Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
VT-Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
The 9th Sage

Hm, maybe I should give it a go once I get my PSU back. I'll also install that 'invert colors' extension, that sounds like something I'd use.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Burzy
Awesome Member

once you go "black"(background) you never go back! hehe

*edit* to prove how awesome invert colours is, i love the black background on this forum, but whenever i roll over to RHDN I get nuked with eye-gasms :'(

Invert has made even the perkiest websites tolerable to me.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
Lenophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzy View Post
but whenever i roll over to RHDN I get nuked with eye-gasms :'(
Use a different theme. Set on the front page. :P

As for Chrome, once google dumps the keylogger I may consider it.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenophis View Post
Use a different theme. Set on the front page. :P
I have it set to Metroid. So cool.
Maximum Potion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:43 AM   #10
CollinFalling

I stuck with Firefox. I tried Chrome out for a week or so and it feel spiffy when it was a beta, but I've grown too fond of Firefox's quirks.
Oh, and I'm trying to prevent Google from becoming anymore of a monopoly.
CollinFalling is offline   Reply With Quote