Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 08-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Lillymon

Default Port forwarding

How the hell do you do this? I used UPnP to take care of this on my old Orange Livebox and it worked perfectly. Now I've got an Edimax AR-7084gA, which ostensibly supports UPnP as well, but it simply is not visible to any of my applications. This has a fairly catastrophic effect on BitTorrent downloads.

I'm trying to either manually forward the necessary ports (a job that seems needlessly difficult) or figure out what the fuck is wrong with UPnP on this router. portforward.com are no help whatsoever since they simply state that "To setup port forwarding on this router your computer needs to have a static ip address", then tell me how to get a static IP on just about every platform except the one I'm on (Kubuntu Linux).

I haven't changed anything whatsoever except the router. The Orange Livebox auto-configured port forwarding using UPnP on this exact PC, so any problem is with the router. It seems to work fine in all other respects, but this one is pissing me off.

Incidentally, if anyone says to you "Why do we need IPv6? IPv4 seems to work fine", please break their nose for me. Thank you.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
ToastyCheesy

so... are you looking for how to setup a static IP address?

does this help?
ToastyCheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:06 AM   #3
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyCheesy View Post
so... are you looking for how to setup a static IP address?

does this help?
It may very well. I haven't tried it yet (because it's 3AM here and I really need to get some sleep) but that site looks like it may also have a solution to another issue I'd given up on (bridging VirtualBox), so thanks for the link.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:44 AM   #4
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
It may very well. I haven't tried it yet (because it's 3AM here and I really need to get some sleep) but that site looks like it may also have a solution to another issue I'd given up on (bridging VirtualBox), so thanks for the link.
I attempted port forwarding before (due to our router being a bitch to Unreal Tournament), but I reconsidered because I don't own our router...my dad and stepmom do. Plus it was just getting too damn confusing for me.

Click here to level up my card!

Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:42 AM   #5
Xeon3D

to setup a static IP, you should just need to go into your network configuration applet, choose Static IP instead of DHCP or NAPT and use one ip from the same range as your router has.

If (example) your router has the IP Address 192.168.2.1 you can use any of the range 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.255

As you'll also need to provide a subnet address, which is normally 255.255.255.0 (unless your router uses an ip from the 10.0.0.x range, then it's 255.0.0.0).

For the gateway address you just put the IP address of the router.

For DNS (Domain Name Servers) you can use your ISP ones (ask them), your router's ip as the primary (not recommended) or the free and very good OpenDNS (Primary: 208.67.222.22 and Secondary: 208.67.220.220).

Then you would have a Static IP.

For port forwarding, some routers do suck in their UPnP "compatibility", basically what I do is just put the IP address of the computer in the DMZ Zone which is basically opening all the ports to that machine (easy, but a little insecure).

Those were the days...
Xeon3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
SparroHawc

And if there is no applet, you could try 'netconfig' at commandline. Failing that, check your rc.d and/or init.d for references to 'ifconfig' and see what it's doing.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
Sliver-X

Quote:
If (example) your router has the IP Address 192.168.2.1 you can use any of the range 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.255
This is wrong: *.*.*.255 is the broadcast address for the entire subnet: It's reserved for network-wide communication.

*edit* Also, we figured a way to do this without losing NAT DHCP functionality. Setting a port forwarder on the desired range to *.*.*.100 worked. The same rule could also be applied with *.*.*.101, since there's only two PCs on the LAN in question. This would forward to each no matter which negotiated a NAT IP first.

Last edited by Sliver-X; 08-24-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Sliver-X is offline   Reply With Quote