Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 11-29-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
metbot

Default This video (.zmv) has not been formatted for your TV and will not work under any circumstances.

How can I convert like a .zmv file to an .avi or .mov or anything like that file?

<P ID="signature"></P>
metbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
Disch

Default Re: This video (.zmv) has not been formatted for your TV and will not work under any circumstances.

> How can I convert like a .zmv file to an .avi or .mov or
> anything like that file?

1) Get something that can record AVIs from your desktop (or a window). I believe there are suggestions in http://www.zophar.net/wwwthreads/sho...t=1#Post246211this thread</a>.

2) Play the zmv file in ZSNES and record it.

There is no way to really do a straight convert... since ZMVs require a full emulator to play... the files themselves are little more than a list of recorded keypresses.

<P ID="signature"></P>
Disch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:12 AM   #3
Narvick

Default Re: This video (.zmv) has not been formatted for your TV and will not work under any circumstances.

The internal workings of ZSNES have changed over the years as well. I've gotten a few complaints that our zmv archive is pretty much worthless since none of them work essentially. And they're right. Those movies will probably not work on any version of ZSNES anymore. It's a shame. I contacted the ZSNES team about a year ago and suggested that backward compatibility ZMV support would be great, but no one paid attention. I'm thinking about not accepting anymore ZMV submissions, and putting a disclaimer on the archive.

<P ID="signature">!</P>
Narvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:53 AM   #4
Disch

Backwards compatible ZMV support isn't plausable at all. Old ZMVs would rely on the exact behavior of the XX version of ZSNES to run properly. In order to make that backwards compatible... ZSNES would essentially have to have all the different versions of the emulator built into the exe.

You're better off just fetching the needed version of ZSNES from an archive site.

However... I find that ZMVs often lose sync in ZSNES... even if you use the proper version (hell... I've had them lose sync immediatly when I play them back immediatly after recording them).

A universal movie format would be very cool. Of course emus would have to support it and actually make it WORK. I don't know how difficult it would be on the SNES... but on the NES it would be VERY easy. But that's an unrelated issue.

<P ID="signature"></P>
Disch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:36 AM   #5
breadcrust

> A universal movie format would be very cool. Of course emus
> would have to support it and actually make it WORK. I don't
> know how difficult it would be on the SNES... but on the NES
> it would be VERY easy. But that's an unrelated issue.

couldnt be hard to make a universal emu/system xml format:

(i originally wrote a pretty cool basic movie format but this stupid forum software totally screwed it up)

<P ID="signature">Breadcrust

</P>
breadcrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 06:56 PM   #6
Narvick

I had a feeling backward compatibility wouldn't be feasible. It's a shame too. There's also no way of getting the version of ZSNES used with each of the ZMV files. And you're right, even if you use the same version, there's a strong chance it will go out of sync. Bottom line: ZSNES movies are a worthless feature now.

<P ID="signature">!</P>
Old 12-01-2004, 09:03 AM   #7
AkaneJones

> Bottom line: ZSNES movies are a
> worthless feature now.

Well not totaly none time oriented ZMVs should still work correctly such as one for RPGs

As an example test this Lufia 2 ZMV I made a long time ago, it should be Maxim and Tia fighting a masquito group and winning a chop board, the catch was Tia had level 0 stats.

<P ID="signature"><hr>
<center>

</center></P>

C:Serverxampphtdocszopharoldwwwthrea...entsLufia2.zip
AkaneJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:04 AM   #8
Narvick

My Castlevania 4 movie I sent in years ago failed to work all the time only a year or two after I submitted it. I guess it really depends on the game.

<P ID="signature">!</P>
Old 12-08-2004, 05:46 AM   #9
AkaneJones

> My Castlevania 4 movie I sent in years ago failed to work
> all the time only a year or two after I submitted it. I
> guess it really depends on the game.

Well Castlevania 4 was a action timing based game, where as a game like Lufia 2 is controled by exact things happening regardless of how long the button is held. So as long as a button press is registerd it shouldn't screw up. I sapose if you where to try to push the button as quickly as posable at the exact monent the menu came up it could screw up, if timing ever slowed down in latter ZSNES versions.

<P ID="signature"><hr>
<center>

</center></P>
AkaneJones is offline   Reply With Quote