Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 09-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #11
D--

Quote:
Originally Posted by (wraith_) View Post
On your second point, I can't migrate to Apple. First: cost of replacing software. Second, I feel like Apple and Microsoft have had a nice role reversal since the late 90's early 00's. I think Apple is becoming the evil empire doing what they want while Microsoft is starting to more readily embrace standards.
ActiveX. Silverlight. Internet Explorer.

Look, I'll agree they are making an effort. Internet Explorer 9 is also very nice, and would make web design infinitely easier if people running Windows XP could upgrade to it and were forced to. I was blown away when I saw ODT support in Microsoft Word.

But it's not like it is the default. I get a lot of strange stuff thrown at me in DOCX that really isn't compatible with things like LibreOffice or AbiWord or older versions of Pages. Microsoft is still following that old mentality of, "All the standards suck. Let's invent a new one that doesn't suck."

And then we all end up with even more shit to comply with.

Maybe it's not quite evil in the way Apple is, but it's backsliding into 1980s computing ignorance.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
pipes

I wouldn't say IE9 is nice, because to me it seems much like the old. It still lacks support for setAttribute functions correctly in javascript! Looks like their UI is going to use HTML5 (that IE9 doesn't fully support, unlike most current browsers now [mostly in css3]) and "tiles" on top of a windows 8 windowing system with fancy swooshes and animation. That makes me also think that IE is going to be reintegrated with it again. So security flaws and bloat are going to be all the rage in tomorrow's windows.

I so agree that they need to cut it out with forcing people with their crap file formats AND making people do things the way they want you to do. I can understand vendor lockin is good for them, and as a company, a good move to make an extra buck.

It also is a double edge sword for them as well. I couldn't understand why my work NEEDED windows XP to run their software (it's crap aswell ), till I looked at the back of the computer with wires connected to the parallel port. The phone system is old (not that old as they just bought it a few years before vista) and had to use unsigned drivers to work with it (for logs). Companies don't want to pay microsoft to sign their drivers or upgrade expensive new hardware that would work for newer versions just to say up to date. This makes their vendor lockin a lockout for business that need this.

Last edited by pipes; 09-03-2011 at 02:18 PM.
pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:50 AM   #13
InVerse

I've tried half-a-dozen operating systems over the last couple of weeks (even one that operates on ISO cards) and I've come to the conclusion that the only decent OS is the one that doesn't rely on electricity to operate.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
D--

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
I've tried half-a-dozen operating systems over the last couple of weeks (even one that operates on ISO cards) and I've come to the conclusion that the only decent OS is the one that doesn't rely on electricity to operate.
顶!