Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 09-28-2009, 03:34 AM   #21
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post
How come ZSNES seems to get layering right, but SNEmulDS doesn't?
Perhaps because SNEmulDS is not based off of ZSNES and is less accurate, mainly due to the DS's lack of processing power?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:06 AM   #22
jdev

I was actually wondering about something more technically specific, but I suppose you probably wouldn't know if you aren't the programmer. I feel like I've got it half figured out in my head, in a kind of general sense, but I can't quite put it together. I'm surprised the DS doesn't have the processing power, though. I seem to remember playing a ZSNES back on like 266MHz or something (what did it take to run Quake 2?).
jdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:27 AM   #23
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post
I'm surprised the DS doesn't have the processing power, though. I seem to remember playing a ZSNES back on like 266MHz or something (what did it take to run Quake 2?).
yaah and the DS has 2 ARM cores, one running at 66MHz, and the other running at 33. Also the archetecture is vastly different from x86, and x86 has the advantage of out-of-order execution (I'm not sure how much it affects emulation speed though).

so yah, the DS would get its ass spanked by a PII 233MHz CPU.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #24
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
Perhaps because SNEmulDS is not based off of ZSNES and is less accurate, mainly due to the DS's lack of processing power?
It's because SnemulDS's layering uses the 2-D hardware and not any kind of software rendering. If it uses software rendering, the emulator would get too slow. Therefore it's having to work within the DS's 2-D hardware. Also, the reason sound isn't always right either is that the sync between the ARM9 and ARM7 cpus of the DS isn't always correct. As I understand, the main processor on the SNES and the SPC unit are normally in sync, but since emulation of the CPU is done on the ARM9 and the sound on the ARM7, it doesn't always get it quite right (and some games are really sensitive to this). Of course this adds another layer of complexity to the emulation, but if they hadn't emulated sound on the ARM7, I don't know if the emulator would be full speed or not.

I know they were trying to think of better ways to sync the two, but since development seems to have pretty much stopped, I don't know if we'll see anything better.

*edit*
Oh yeah, and speaking of Quake2...there is a Quake 2 port for the DS. :P It requires a slot-2 flashcart so it can use the extra RAM those usually contain. At some points it overpowers the DS's 3-D hardware, but it runs pretty decently most of the time. So does the Quake 1 port.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote