Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 08-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
shawn

Default Overpriced Cells

I was just complaining how phones where so expensive "might have been over at EP" and I refused to pay $50 a month for just using the phone a few times a month.

Well I guess I was right about how much a ripoff phone service is in the US. They do this with phones, education, and healthcare. There ought to be a law.

http://consumerist.com/5335809/congr...lphone-service
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
InVerse

There is. It's called the Law of Supply and Demand. If idiots stop over paying for things, the price goes down. Unfortunately, the key word in that statement is idiots, the same people that pay people like Eli Manning $97 million dollars to throw around a ball for no constructive purpose.

(Also, for some reason, I'm now thinking about Andy Griffith's stand up act about accidentally wandering into the stands during a football game and having no clue what's going on. I highly recommend looking it up, I"m sure it's online. Actually, just search YouTube for Andy Griffith and football, there are multiple hits. I'd just post a link myself but I"m on dialup so I can't verify the quality of a particular video.)

Back on topic, I paid $20 for my cellphone and pay around $30/month for pre-paid service and unlimited texting.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
There is. It's called the Law of Supply and Demand. If idiots stop over paying for things, the price goes down. Unfortunately, the key word in that statement is idiots, the same people that pay people like Eli Manning $97 million dollars to throw around a ball for no constructive purpose.

Back on topic, I paid $20 for my cellphone and pay around $30/month for pre-paid service and unlimited texting.
I know what you mean. It's disgusting paying someone millions to play with a ball. I also can't believe the morons that pay hundreds sometimes for a single ticket to watch these people. Think of all the problems in this country that could be solved spending that money besides some guy that can play with a ball.

I don't even pay for a phone. I refuse. I use my uncles since he has an unlimited plan or a payphone but for me to just call work once in a while and maybe the pizza place means it's not worth it. PS unless it's a real friend I find having a phone means most of the time the only people calling are people that just want something from me so without a phone they actually have to get off their ass for me to refuse them, lol.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
ToastyCheesy

I was actually lucky enough to get a phone I actually want, found a MotoRokr for $40, must MSRP for over $300. It's really nice, and I use it as my dominant music / video player as well.

I pay about $6 for unlimited Data,$10 for unlimited texting, and probably another $20 for 600 minutes with unlimited nights / weekends. I've been contemplating dropping my minute plan to something lower but I'm waiting for T-mobile to strike the right deal again. They always have one really good sale from month to month on one of their services, so I just wait until I see something that suits me better for cheaper, and I upgrade then.

90% of the time. cellphones are waay overpriced. looking at people that pay for text, they can be paying up to 20 cents a text, and I'm sure it's only costing the carrier a fraction of a cent. Big money business, but whatever puts the roof over their heads I guess. As long as I'm not paying like that.
ToastyCheesy is offline   Reply With Quote