View Poll Results: What's your prefered difficulty
Insane: No mercy. Old school Nes style rage inducers 6 13.64%
Hard: Frustratingly control breakingly hard 7 15.91%
Moderate: Right mix of challenge and frustration. Just right 27 61.36%
Easy: Boring casual gamers zone 4 9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2009, 04:51 AM   #71
Wolvie

Holy Diver on the nentindo entertainment system, is hands down the hardest game I have ever played. it puts contra to shame in my opinion. but then again, no console game I know of is harder then I wanna be the guy.
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #72
Burzy
Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umiliphus View Post
A minor point: If you speak of Donkey Kong Land, that was not the first Kong for Gameboy.

That initial Megaman must have been the worst of them, in regards to sadism. I would have loved to use the "multiple hits with elec beam against [whatever the yellow blob monster is called]" technique I used to see so much ado made of, but I couldn't even get through the level that fiend was in.

No, no, actually, I may have reached it one time, but was promptly destroyed by the beast's particles, long before I had an opportunity to fire upon them.
You can use that technique on Dr Wiley at the end also >:}

oh, and someone i play an online game with told me to post this, I have never played it myself, but I want to ( and I thought megaman, and bucky o hare were seizure games O.o) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmevFkY_dMc

by the way, I'm not sure if I'm not supposed to post links or anything here, kinda new, if so sorry about that

Last edited by Burzy; 07-21-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Burzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #73
InVerse

Since the topic is "hardest game you've ever played" and not "hardest game ever made", I'll forgive everyone for failing to mention Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde for NES. In fact, I'll commend everyone for never having played the game and strongly suggest that you never even consider doing so.

Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde is the hardest game ever made. I played through it several years ago in the process of writing an article about the game. Using the Game Genie code that made me invincible, it still took several hours to play through the game. In fact, in one of the later levels, it took me over 5 minutes to make the equivalent of one screen's width of progress WHILE FUCKING INVINCIBLE. We're not talking about some puzzle dungeon or some shit, we're talking about side scrolling levels with no environmental traps (ie. holes) and I still couldn't do it.

I'm actually in the process now of putting together a documentary about the game. As far as I've been able to determine, it was designed by a Saudi Arabian company. My hope is to bring this company up on charges of terrorism. Failing this, I would at least like to punch one of the programmers in the face.

Even worse, the game has really nice graphics for an NES game. If you've played Just Breed, I would compare the two graphically. As far as play control, however, there's nothing in Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde that couldn't have been done on the Atari 2600, except I've never played a 2600 game with that shitty of play control. (And, on a random note, I bought two copies of E.T. for the 2600 yesterday for $2/each. I'm open to suggestions on what to do with the extra copy. Shooting seems a bit passe, I was contemplating gluing it to a dildo and selling it on eBay.)

But back to Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde. The game fucking sucks. I mean, it sucks more than anything else on earth has ever sucked. I've known Jewish elders who, upon playing it, commented that maybe Auschwitz wasn't so bad after all. I've contemplated shoving the cartridge up my ass just to prove that doing so is actually more enjoyable than playing the game, but my poop really deserved better than this horrid pile of suck.

As for Street Fighter 2010... I don't think that game was so much hard as it was crappy. I don't think I ever made it past the 3rd fight, but mostly because the play control was utter shit. Also, did anybody actually get this game NOT thinking it was like Street Fighter 2?
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:22 AM   #74
The 9th Sage

Quote:
But back to Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde. The game fucking sucks. I mean, it sucks more than anything else on earth has ever sucked. I've known Jewish elders who, upon playing it, commented that maybe Auschwitz wasn't so bad after all. I've contemplated shoving the cartridge up my ass just to prove that doing so is actually more enjoyable than playing the game, but my poop really deserved better than this horrid pile of suck.
Argh...I forgot about that game. I wonder why. lol This just made me think of Athena on the NES. That game is stupidly hard at times (like the boss of the first level where it's basically impossible to beat him unless you have a decent ranged weapon), though as terrible as it is I still have some kind of sick love of that game (Athena that is...not Dr Jekyll. No way.).

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:52 AM   #75
Isildur

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
In fact, in one of the later levels, it took me over 5 minutes to make the equivalent of one screen's width of progress WHILE FUCKING INVINCIBLE. We're not talking about some puzzle dungeon or some shit, we're talking about side scrolling levels with no environmental traps (ie. holes) and I still couldn't do it.
Yikes, even while invincible and and not facing environmental traps like holes, it's still that hard to progress in it? What does the game do, stun-lock the player every time an enemy attacks, and dump an ridiculous avalanche of enemies on the player? Bounce the player with pinball-bumper-like ricochets off every surface touched? Require absurd button combinations just to move around?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #76
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
Yikes, even while invincible and and not facing environmental traps like holes, it's still that hard to progress in it? What does the game do, stun-lock the player every time an enemy attacks, and dump an ridiculous avalanche of enemies on the player? Bounce the player with pinball-bumper-like ricochets off every surface touched? Require absurd button combinations just to move around?
When an enemy touches you, you're pushed back slightly. In later levels, there are a lot of enemies. And Donkey Kong style barrels. And you have a weapon, but using it causes YOU to take damage but doesn't harm the enemies at all. And the American version of the game removed the only way to refill your "life" because it was a prostitute.

And the way the game works, you start as Jeckyll and instead of a life meter, you have a sanity meter. When it reaches 0, you transform into Hyde, change worlds and go into a more traditional "shoot the enemies with your magical power ball" type of level. Except if Hyde progresses farther in his world than Jeckyll does in his, you lose. No continues, no passwords.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #77
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
Except if Hyde progresses farther in his world than Jeckyll does in his, you lose. No continues, no passwords.
It's been a long time since I played it, and it wasn't extensively at that, but what? So you're penalized for progressing in the game, more or less? I realize that the idea is probably that "oh no! Hyde's evil or something!" but really?

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #78
Burzy
Awesome Member

Anyone ever played "Nyet"? I first played it in the 90's on my old IBM P/S 1. Seemed to be a rendition of Tetris ( I don't care if its a clone or original, w.e.) . Level 9, as SOON as you hit enter to start level, the screen fills with Tetrads and you fail...

And I always found Metal Gear for NES was an amazing fun challenge (if you play properly)

Ans since this is Zophar's I'm hoping ROM hacks count? If so, I'd like to elect Zelda: Parallel Worlds, and Super Metroid: Redesign.

Easily two of the most intensely difficult games I've ever played.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #79
ToastyCheesy

On the subject of rom hack's, I still remember playing through Anikiti's Luigi hack for SMW. I mean, c'mon, that was years ago, and I remember the author's name? That game definately busted a few of my nerves, as well as the blister that developed on my fingers, but it was well made, well designed.
ToastyCheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #80
Burzy
Awesome Member

Earthworm Jim is pretty tough, and definately the first TMNT game by Ultra. Hmm otherwise I'd have to say Bucky O'Hare for NES is a very nice challenge .

Of course with the exception of hacks, savestates negate the challenge. I remember having to rent battletoads 5 times same as bucky, before i finished it hehe.