Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 06-27-2005, 03:15 AM   #1
idownloadroms

Default Best Plug-in Combinations?

I'm somewhat new to plug-in emulation styles of PSX and N64 emulation. While before I was just using Pete and Jabo's plug-ins at lowest settings because of hardware issues, I've upgraded my computer to a point where I think that the lowest possible settings don't need to be used anymore.

Using a Celeron 2.6ghz, 768MB RAM, and an ATI Radeon 9200SE, what might be some of the best sound and graphic plug-in combinations I could use to get the most possible out of emulation (using ePSXe 1.6 and Project64)?
idownloadroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:46 AM   #2
mFC

Default Re: Best Plug-in Combinations?

ewww 9200se
mFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
idownloadroms

> ewww 9200se
>

Thanks. I would still consider it an improvement over the prior Intel Extreme Integrated graphics.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:02 AM   #4
idownloadroms

> > ewww 9200se
> >
>
> Thanks. I would still consider it an improvement over the
> prior Intel Extreme Integrated graphics.
>

Or rather, what's the best setting and plug-in to use so I can get the smoothest gameplay out of PSX and N64 emulation on a low-end card?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:37 AM   #5
The 9th Sage

> Or rather, what's the best setting and plug-in to use so I
> can get the smoothest gameplay out of PSX and N64 emulation
> on a low-end card?

No, it definitely is better than the Intel card.

Welp, for N64 emulation I feel that Rice's Video plug-in is the best one to use. It supports either OpenGL or DirectX, but probably DirectX would be best for you.

Screen resolution is up to you....I've had it run fast in 1024.768 before, it depends on the game howerver since some are more CPU intensive than others.

The DX combiner type I use is Semi-Pixel Shader, but I'd try a few and see how it works best for your card as it CAN make a difference.

As for forcing software transform and lighting/vertex clipper, try it with them off first, if it works don't check the box, if you see weird problems check the box. Some cards will be fine doing this in hardware for N64 emulation, some will not but if your card does fine with doing it in hardware it's all the better...one less thing to load onto your processor.

Texture filters, of course, is to your taste. I find that the lq2x filter can look great on some games, and the sharpen filter is pretty interesting.

In the game options, make sure N64 Framebuffer emulation is turned off...this will disable effects like the blur effect on Majora's Mask, but I find that on my system it's too much of a hit in performance to leave it on.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote