Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
SERIALJOE

Default Rom hack request

I don't know if this would be the right place for this and if not I apologize. I've been looking around for a rom hack of rock 'n roll racing and I've found nothing more than a video on youtube. I've just recently started checking out emulation again and it's the first time I've seen rom hacking. It's cool. Though there are some stupid hacks. Bald head hacks.. Dirty Zelda hacks. I am surprised to find the extent of must mortal kombat hacks is unlocking hidden characters and adding cheats. I figured someone would be putting in custom characters at this point.

Anywho if any knows where I can find a RNR hack or might want to make one I'd appreciate it and if not thanks for your time.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:44 AM   #2
InVerse

I could make one but it would probably only consist of changing the word ROCK to FUCK. As a general rule, assume that nobody will ever make a ROM hack that you want. In the 12 years that I've been coming to this forum, I've only seen 2 instances of someone actually fulfilling another person's ROM hack request and I think both of those were translation related.

I've also seen multiple instances of people offering to pay someone to do a particular hack. Even in those cases, even when there were hundreds of dollars offered for a particular translation, nobody ever completed the task.

The moral of the story is.... if you want to see a hack of a particular game, you have 2 options. Hacking it yourself or developing sufficiently advanced AI so as to allow you to program a robot that can hack it for you.

ROM hackers rarely complete their *own* ideas, let alone someone else's.

Additional Note: Rock 'n' Roll Racing doesn't appear on either DataCrystal or The Cutting Room Floor so it's likely that nobody has ever bothered to hack the game.

Also, it might help if you mentioned which version of the game you're referring to, seeing as how it was released on at least 3 systems.

Last edited by InVerse; 05-30-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:42 AM   #3
SERIALJOE

The snes version or the Sega Genesis version. What was the third version? GBA?
There's a sega version somewhere. Even shows it on this list: http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13724 . I've learned myself that if you want to get something done and you can't do it yourself and you don't ask someone to do it you won't get it done. If they do it then they do it and if not it will probably be ok and thanks anyway. Basically though if you or anyone else was interested in doing it all I was figuring was on porting rpm racing over to it. Some of the tracks and vehicles and maybe adding some more drivers. But thats just an idea.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Hacker View Post
Additional Note: Rock 'n' Roll Racing doesn't appear on either DataCrystal or The Cutting Room Floor so it's likely that nobody has ever bothered to hack the game.
man, that cutting room floor site is addicting, hah. Is this a new site, as some info for some of the games are really lacking (sonic series being a big one).
Old 05-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERIALJOE View Post
I've learned myself that if you want to get something done and you can't do it yourself and you don't ask someone to do it you won't get it done.
In the ROM hacking world, if you can't do it yourself and ask someone else to do it, they assume that your unwillingness to learn how to do it means it isn't worth doing, thus resulting in it being even less likely to get done than if you had asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
man, that cutting room floor site is addicting, hah. Is this a new site, as some info for some of the games are really lacking (sonic series being a big one).
The original version was just a page on BMF54123's site that has been around for years but had stagnated. The wiki version has been open for a little over 3 months now but has only recently opened up the account creation system to the public, so it's pretty much still in it's infancy. There's a lot of work going on in it's forum that hasn't made it's way to the wiki yet. (And as far as the Sonic series goes, a couple of posts on the forum gave me the impression that they're adverse to using X-Cult's information because most of it is unsourced and unreliable, but I'm not positive about that.)
Old 05-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
Yeah, thanks for the link to that. I really love websites like that, always good to add another one to my list of 'em.

Twitter
Old 05-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
SERIALJOE

Lol I didn't know I was that important. I'm a deciding factor in if someone will make the hack.. lol.. Bubba if they do it then they do it and if not oh well but I wouldn't see anyone doing it unless they just simply liked the game and just flat out wanted more content to add to the game play because they played it so many times. It's an all right game with all right music as it is. Hell theres a sega hack floating around somewhere and a fan made remake in the works.. Though the remake is Brazilian. In the end I'm just asking and I don't have anything more than a thank you if someone does it. The hack shown on youtube and obscurely mentioned on this site uses vehicles from rpm racing and it looks like they use some of the tracks as well. Since Rpm racing has a track editor you may even be able to port over your own custom tracks. For someone who knows what they are doing it might be easy but I really don't know. In the end if a hack is made I expect only that the individual who did it is a fan and if not I don't expect the world to end all to soon.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
InVerse

In other words, you're wasting bandwidth. If someone with the skills to pull off the hack is a big enough fan of the game to want to hack it, they're not going to be just sitting around waiting for someone else to request a hack. So your thread contributed absolutely nothing to the world except for running up the bandwidth costs of this site by a few cents.

I'm tempted to write a track editor for it just so I can show it off on YouTube and then refuse to release it but I've probably got enough unreleased complete translations sitting on my hard drive already.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
SERIALJOE

How many games were on the SNES? How many numerous games were released for it? I can even call out the number of games I liked on the snes. About 720 in North America.
I don't expect 720 of them have been hacked yet. There are a number of really cool games that simply haven't been hacked just simply because it hasn't occurred to anyone. I don't expect The Secret of the stars has been hacked. Someone probably either really liked that game or has an idea how to put some spark behind it. The point being someone might see this thread and recall this non mario non final fantasy game and decide to do a complete hack. It's inspired this http://projeto.rocknrollracing.org/ .
Now if you want to go and make a complete hack out of spite and put it on youtube and not release go for it. Theres already a video on youtube of a hack that I can't currently get. Though I doubt you'd do that out of spite. I expect you enjoy rom hacking.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
InVerse

At one point I ran the largest ROM hacking site on the 'net (romhacking.com) which I created purely out of spite. I've completely revamped entire sections of this site (zophar.net) out of spite. Don't underestimate what I'm willing to do out of spite, I'm a big admirer of suicide bombers.

However, you clearly don't understand how much work goes into a ROM hack and why experienced hackers get annoyed by people who make posts that basically amount to "I'M TOO FUCKING LAZY TO DO THIS MYSELF SO PLEASE DO IT FOR ME!" Over the course of the last dozen or so years that I've been involved in the ROM hacking scene, I'm sure I've seen well over a thousand posts like yours and never once has it resulted in anything useful. You may see your post as a harmless suggestion but a majority of ROM hackers look at it as you telling them to go fuck themselves.

"Really cool games" go unhacked not because nobody has ever thought of hacking them. They go unhacked because the people capable of hacking them don't give a shit about them enough to put in the hundreds of hours of work it would take to figure the games out. You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what hacking is, to boot. There are only a tiny handful of people who have hacked Final Fantasy or Super Mario Bros. The reason there are so many hacks of those games is because that tiny handful created useful tools that other people can use to modify the games. 95% of Super Mario and Final Fantasy hacks that have been released were not done by hackers.

And no, I don't enjoy ROM hacking. I just hate Japanese.
Closed Thread