Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 04-20-2005, 05:36 AM   #1
Quasius

Default Anyone want to know what papal infallibillity actually is?

As I have seen a fair amount of snide comments here and other places about papal infallibillity from people who have no clue what they are talking about, it would probably be good to clear up some misconceptions.
The pope is not sinless and everything he says is not true. Infallibillity is a special charism that was defined at Vatican 1 and is rarely used. When the pope is speaking as the head of the council of bishops, as the head of the Church, on matters of faith and morals to define a doctrine or believe already held by the Church, he is not capable of error. Notice all the conditionalls there. As far as I know this has been done about 3 times. Ever. The pope cannot create new doctine and he cannot reverse previously held doctrine. If you want to read more, http://www.catholic.com/library/Papal_Infallibility.aspthis</a> is a good article. And if you would claim that is biased or whatever, wikipedia has a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_infallibilitygood entry on papal infallibility.</a>
Thanks and I hope people read this before making another ignorant comment about how dumb papal infallibility is.
Quasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #2
ricardobaltazar

Default Re: Anyone want to know what papal infallibillity actually is?

So, what's the whole deal with the changing the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday thing because I would sure like to know.

<P ID="signature"><center>
</center></P>
ricardobaltazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
Quasius

> So, what's the whole deal with the changing the Sabbath from
> Saturday to Sunday thing because I would sure like to know.

That was done in the early church as it became clear that the focus was on the ressurection, which was on Sunday. I'm not sure who changed that, but it really isn't related to papal infallability. That applies to issues of faith and morals, not mechanical things like when you go to mass. (It is not completely acceptable to go to a mass Saturday night instead of Sunday.) Stuff like that is movable.

<P ID="signature"></P>
Quasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
Prower

I suppose some people just don't like the idea of anyone being considered "infallible" at all, it might not just be hostility toward the Vatican particularly. :> But the extra information is appreciated -- I hadn't really even heard of the term before I came across this discussion, so I wasn't aware it existed.

<P ID="signature"></P>
Prower is offline   Reply With Quote