Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 04-07-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
Dwedit

Default Working on a GB disassembler

I'm working on a Gameboy disassembler. I've already made a Z80 disassembler for the TI calculators, so converting it to GB shouldn't be too hard.
It will crawl all over the file to locate where the code is, and everything else is tagged as "data". It makes labels for all 16 bit values, whether jumped there or used as a 16 bit load.
It will also let you rename the labels, and re-disassemble to use the new names.
Any features you want to see in the program?
Dwedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
InVerse

Something that I've never seen in a debugger that might be extremely useful as far as advancing the knowledge of ROM hacking is a built in tutorial. What I'm envisioning is a walkthrough of an actual hack of an actual ROM (plenty of public domain Gameboy games to choose from so as to keep it legal) in which the user is guided step-by-step through the process (I'm imagining it using tool tips or something similar) of using a debugger to accomplish a few useful tasks. Creating something like this within the debugger itself would likely result in far more people using it than simply including documentation to the same end. Any time someone attempts to learn how to use a debugger for the first time, it invariably requires hands on instructions from an experienced user, either via forum threads or IM/chat, so it would be nice to see an alternative to that for the people who aren't keen on begging for help.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Nohbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
Something that I've never seen in a debugger that might be extremely useful as far as advancing the knowledge of ROM hacking is a built in tutorial. What I'm envisioning is a walkthrough of an actual hack of an actual ROM (plenty of public domain Gameboy games to choose from so as to keep it legal) in which the user is guided step-by-step through the process (I'm imagining it using tool tips or something similar) of using a debugger to accomplish a few useful tasks. Creating something like this within the debugger itself would likely result in far more people using it than simply including documentation to the same end. Any time someone attempts to learn how to use a debugger for the first time, it invariably requires hands on instructions from an experienced user, either via forum threads or IM/chat, so it would be nice to see an alternative to that for the people who aren't keen on begging for help.
Agreed. I really have no clue what to do with any of the disassemblers. I actually dont even know what a dissasembler is to be honest
Nohbody is offline   Reply With Quote